11:59 PM EDT
London
Apr. 19, 2024
4:59 AM BST

Help with new gaming laptop

By:

caludon.8246

Posted On: 12/27/2014 at 04:41 PM

I was hoping some of the good SORC folks know more about new laptops than I do.  I need a new gaming laptop that can work for work as well as I travel a good amount.

My GW on my ASUS laptop (about 5 yrs old) has been clunky. The straw that is breaking its back though is that Dragon Age Inquisition says the graphics card isn't compatible so it won't play. I can't have that- so must have a new laptop!

I like my 17" screen but am ok stepping down to 15 in order to save some weight. I need it to do some work but want games to go well so looking for a solid hard drive to help improve loading times into zones. I prefer Windows 7 unless the new updates to 8 make it tolerable- my wife had it and hated 8 so i'd prefer to stick with 7. Any thoughts on brands and where to get them. Hoping to spend between $1000-$1500.
Thanks for any thoughts or direction! I am happy to do a custom build too.

Cal

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 12/28/2014 at 10:46 AM

I've kinda been out of the loop for the new gen laptops, but Asus has a great gaming line called republic of gaming series. From what I've heard and read gw2 is a processor intensive game as apposed to gfx card reliant. So I'd make a guess that the newer i7 Intel processors run excellent. At the moment I use a laptop lower than gw2's minimum specs,lol.   Gl with the hunt..

*Xeero Cool-Mez,Admiral Wiggin-Engi,Arya Sinfelle-Teef,Dirtyfilthyrotten-Necro,Ender Tha Xenocide-Rev
Filthydirtyrotten-Warrior

By:

Commander Fildydarie.1496
   Member of Fluffy Bunny Brigade

Replied On: 12/28/2014 at 03:32 PM

If you're looking for something travel-friendly, the Surface is quite capable.  I have a 512GB Surface Pro 2 (The Pro 2 series has been replaced by Pro 3, which is slightly beefier and has a few QoL niceties).  The capacity is only relevant since the higher end models have twice the RAM.  It isn't flawless, settings certainly aren't maxed, but GW2 plays just fine (disclaimer: I haven't actively done WvW or large-scale content on it).  I don't know about Dragon Age, so that would take more research.

For the portability aspect, though, it is hard to beat; a couple pounds and slightly larger than a DVD case travels much more nicely than my 17" laptop.  It is pricier than a laptop for the performance, though, and for a 256GB i7 Pro 3, you're looking at ~$1700 with the type cover.

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved