New WvW dailies bring fresh blood -- best way to get them hooked?
Moscow
Apr. 19, 2024
9:42 AM MSK
Sydney
Apr. 19, 2024
4:42 PM AEST
Hobbiton
Apr. 19, 2024
6:42 PM NZST
Seattle
Apr. 18, 2024
11:42 PM PDT
Chicago
Apr. 19, 2024
1:42 AM CDT
New York
Apr. 19, 2024
2:42 AM EDT
London
Apr. 19, 2024
7:42 AM BST

New WvW dailies bring fresh blood -- best way to get them hooked?

By:

Commander Lakshmi.5941
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Posted On: 12/17/2014 at 03:18 AM

I noticed a lot of new folks following the tags yesterday, and I think the reason might be the WvW dailies.

This might be an excellent opportunity to acquaint (or reacquaint) the new folks with the SoR website, WVW schedule and TeamSpeak.  I propose one of those "join us" messages I used to see all the time in zone chat, but with a new twist:  "Need to finish your WvW dailies?  Vist sanctumofrall.com to see when commanders are scheduled to lead in WvW.  Everyone welcome!"

The TS message is good too but the reality is that TS is often a ghost town when there's no scheduled commander.  Let's get them to join us when they'll have the best possible experience.  They'll get more dailies done that way and swell the ranks when we have a tag or three on the field.  And hopefully discover that WvW is fun these days and something they want to do more.

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Jio Derako.7638
   Member of Disciples of Omen

Replied On: 03/06/2015 at 06:36 AM

Hello, first time posting here on the forums, but a long-time SoR inhabitant and off-and-on WvW player. Just want to toss in my two cents!

Encouraging participation on the site as well as the TS is definitely a good aim to have, but I'd also like to mention the slightly smaller goal of encouraging more "fair weather" players to get involved in WvW as a whole. (something we've been having a lot of luck on recently, even filling up EB on a daily basis during some of our weeks, but also something we've previously struggled with.)
The "fair weather" player, to clarify, is one who maybe doesn't know very much about WvW and its tactics, but has an interest in it. Some come over after gaining experience in EotM, others maybe are SPvP veterans looking for something bigger, and plenty are just PvE casuals interested in something a little more difficult than killing mobs. Whatever the case, and whatever you may call them - PUGs, etc - these players often enter the map with little sense of direction and limited knowledge of objectives or their values.

It was only a couple of months ago while we were in T8 that many of our maps were empty, or simply appeared as such. I've had a few nights where I logged on only to find an empty map, flipped a few camps as a solo roamer, only be driven off when an enemy roaming duo or trio appeared. I've also had a few times where, after arriving on a perceived empty map, turned on my commander tag and started knocking on a tower door and ended the assault with a small group assisting me.
My point here being, consider how any given map will look to someone who possibly has no knowledge of the TS (or even does not have an interest in installing or using the program, as is often the case for a player looking to simply play casually for a short amount of time). Tags on the map are always seen as a sign of activity, and direct traffic out onto the map where otherwise players might leave in search of something more interesting. Map chatter is another huge encouragement, and while it's generally not efficient to transcribe a commander's in-battle commands (major props to those who manage to do this regardless), calling out general movement or scouted information for all to "hear" makes it all a much more PUG-friendly environment. We have a lot of players out there who would be easily converted into hardcore WvW'rs, but they need a little help to get started! And though PUGs are generally less reliable and more difficult to wrangle as a commander, they are still a resource to be tapped into. Rally-bots could be done without, but even a few extra upleveled Rangers pew-pewing from the backline can turn the tide of a fight. There's no dangers of upscaling when facing against enemy players. (though off-topic, how cool would that be if you could gain bonus stats while fighting multiple opponents by yourself...)

So just another perspective to add, and a helpful one I hope! I personally feel very drawn to this subject in particular because this was me not long ago, hopping on to see "dead" maps and being discouraged from even venturing out of the keep, and considering making the move to another server just so I could see some real action. I'm oh so glad I was persistent and stuck around, because it's everything I've wanted to see now. But I just know there are more like me out there who just need that extra little push to get them out on the map. :)

----
Jio Derako

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 03/06/2015 at 09:40 AM

I have my tags but have only used them a few times. I have one big question-how do you show in chat where you recalled to?

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 03/06/2015 at 04:11 PM

c'mon. I know it's a dumbkittenquestion but I need to know lol.

By:

Commander limetwyst.7039
   Member of Blood of the Martyr

Replied On: 03/06/2015 at 04:22 PM

Krusty are you asking how to link a waypoint?

If so, it's like this:

> Switch your chat to map or team chat in preparation.

> Open your map and Shift+click the waypoint. This propogates the waypoint link into your chat bar.

> Close the map and press enter to announce the link to everyone

Note: You will still have to click/double-click to travel yourself.

GW siggy photo GW siggy.png

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 03/06/2015 at 09:24 PM

:) thank you

By:

Commander synosius.9876
   Member of Seriously Over Rated

Replied On: 03/06/2015 at 10:22 PM

while tag is on, if you alt click on the map, a box appears allowing you the option of placing 4 marks that only your squad can see.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 03/07/2015 at 01:39 PM

I think new wvw players will have much more fun if they're running a proper build for what they're doing in wvw. You have much more fun not dying over and over. That could make anyone not have fun. Keep an eye on new ppl and see if they're running a wonky build, help em out ect. 

*Xeero Cool-Mez,Admiral Wiggin-Engi,Arya Sinfelle-Teef,Dirtyfilthyrotten-Necro,Ender Tha Xenocide-Rev
Filthydirtyrotten-Warrior

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved