London
Mar. 29, 2024
3:29 PM GMT

WvW Training Wheels Expansion

By:

Commander xivor.8754
   Member of Chariot of Fire

Posted On: 08/20/2014 at 05:18 AM

Hey everyone.  Many of you may know that FIRE and MEGA have stepped up to lead a Militia Training event for Wednesdays for new militia and a Commander Training for new commanders on Thursday.  The original intent of these events were to assist in exposing and training new WvW players in FIRE and MEGA to the battlefield in a low-stress, friendly training environment, as well as new FIRE/MEGA commanders to have the ability to practice commanding also in a low-stress, friendly training environment.

What actually became of these events is a growth that we did not anticipate.  We have regular attendance by IMPS, RA, FX, and other guilds, and we have seen as many as 30+ join in to learn and practice.  On commander training days, we have rotated around different commanders from different guilds.

The problem we are facing is that the bulk of the experience and leading of these events are through FIRE commanders, and our scheduling is causing conflicts with the training days.  Additionally, I'd like to see other commanders from other guilds take the initiative to teach and train their battle buddies to their left and right in a low-stress, friendly environment, too.

So what I am proposing is to keep this framework that we have started:

Wednesdays - WvW Militia Training

Thursdays - WvW Commander Training

But, open it up to other experienced commanders from other guilds to participate in this leading and training with a pre-scheduled set of topics.  For example, the following can be a tentative schedule for the first 2 weeks of September:

September 3

Towers 101 - Tower Siege Placement

WXP 101 - WXP Traits for Tower Defense

September 4

Towers 102 - Tower Capture Tactics for Commanders

WXP 102 - WXP Traits for Commanders

September 10

Open Field 101 - Crowd Control Skills & Tactics

WXP 103 - WXP Traits for Open Field Fighting

September 11

Open Field 102 - Using Terrain Features to Win Fights

Open Field 103 - Using Siege as Pressure to Support Fights

Commanders can volunteer to teach specific topics they are knowledgable in a thread such as this one, and we can create a training calendar with a leader and topics for each week.  This way, the pressure is not placed on a specific small group of people, the insight of a variety of server leaders is given with a wide variety of tactics, and those participating have a good idea of what type of training will be going on! 

Thoughts, comments, criticism?

» Edited on: 2014-08-20 05:21:03

» Edited on: 2014-08-26 18:29:16

Combat Medic Barbie | Mist Walker Barbie | Rigor Mortis Barbie

Guild Leader of Chariot of Fire [FIRE]

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander Mistress Collisto.1546

Replied On: 08/20/2014 at 11:10 AM

I would offer advice or a hand on this, but I work all week.  I will try to pass it on to guildies I have been working with and see if any of them would at least like to come out and teach what we have been working on, and just learn from other people other then me.  Many of us are very casual midweek, and dedicated to say the least on weekends.

Mistress Collisto|Molly Oakenheart|Lena Andersdotter|Heather Jones
Guild Leader of [JADE] www.Immortalizedin.enjin.com

By:

Commander souldonkey.9534
   Member of Ascalonian Ghostbusters

Replied On: 08/20/2014 at 11:11 AM

I'd like to join the training for tonight (I will be late as I have kids to put to bed and kitten to do before I log on, but I will be on), but I would like to play using a profession that is more needed for WvW. I main a warrior currently, but I  have 80s of everything except necro and engie. I'm down for bringing anything to WvW, so what would be best? When the feature pack comes out, I will likely be rocking a gold or purple tag (if the color schemes presented in that thread stand) most of the time and will be scouting, havocing, and defending. 

» Edited on: 2014-08-20 11:11:44

- Charlie -
Guild Leader of Ascalonian Ghostbusters [ECTO] - an original SoR Guild - www.ectoguild.com
Current 80s - Arms Murphy (W)| Pumpsandabump (G)| Nicolas Rayge (R)| Karysta Raine (M)| Eiryn Blak (El)| Alexa Stoutcheste (T)| Billy The Kit (En)| Niteris (N)

By:

Commander timmyf.1490
   Member of Super Mega Happy Fun Time

Replied On: 08/20/2014 at 11:28 AM

I'd suggest starting with something from the GWEN meta: Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist, or Necromancer. The other classes have their place, but those are best for medium-to-large groups, especially as a beginner.

---
Karaoke (Loki | Oaky | Pokey | Smokey | Croaky | Cloaky | Soaky | Gnocchi)
Guild Leader - Super Mega Happy Fun Time [MEGA] - supermegahappyfuntime.com

By:

Replied On: 08/20/2014 at 12:59 PM

K, I'll probably stick to what I know then, Warrior or Guardian. Main's a warrior, and I've always been partial to heavy armor melee brutes. Already have a set of soldier armor for my warr, so I'll likely stick with that and go the S/WH, Hammer route, with a bow in my inventory for sniping off walls.

- Charlie -
Guild Leader of Ascalonian Ghostbusters [ECTO] - an original SoR Guild - www.ectoguild.com
Current 80s - Arms Murphy (W)| Pumpsandabump (G)| Nicolas Rayge (R)| Karysta Raine (M)| Eiryn Blak (El)| Alexa Stoutcheste (T)| Billy The Kit (En)| Niteris (N)

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 08/20/2014 at 01:04 PM

That sounds perfect. I'd love to bring my Warrior in, but I've got full zerk and don't have enough tokens for a set of Soldiers at this point. Need to keep running AC...

---

By:

Commander xivor.8754

Replied On: 08/26/2014 at 06:29 PM

*bump*

Looking for more input!

By:

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 12:58 PM

Is there a militia training event tonight? ECTO would like to attend if there is.

- Charlie -

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 01:03 PM

Yes! Excellent! I really want to talk about builds and roles!

---

By:

Commander xivor.8754

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 01:28 PM

Builds like bye bye Rangers from zerg, I hope?!?!?!  :-p 

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 02:01 PM

"If you are a Ranger, your role is to level another profession to 80."

tee hee. But no, in all seriousness, Rangers make great solo camp flippers. Sscripko has mastered this art, I think.

---

By:

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 03:07 PM

Meh, never really enjoyed the "Zerg" tbh. We'll join a zerg if bodies are needed, but we're a medium sized casual guild that wants to focus on running Havoc groups, flipping towers and supply camps and the occasional Keep. We're also pretty big on defense, building up a keep/tower and defending it from attack. I know of at least one of us who will be running his Ranger when we do that kind of stuff.

- Charlie -

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 03:23 PM

Well, we need a lot more groups to step up and take responsibility for defending, so there's definitely a role for you guys!

---

By:

Commander xivor.8754

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 05:06 PM

Zerg is kinda a relative term. Our average group size is what...15-20?  That is hardly azerg.  Maybe the best term is..main force?

By:

Commander sscripko.5387
   Member of Archangels Haven

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 05:26 PM

If you guys want to learn the art of solo flipping camps and towers, please contact me.  For obvious reasons, I can't take a large group at once to learn these things.

EDIT:  Bring ranger or engi please.

» Edited on: 2014-08-27 17:27:07

------

Archangels Haven [HALO] - WvW Command Team. Purchaser of the Golems. TS Administrator.

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 05:33 PM

Actually, Sscripko, can you run it with me so I can record it for the training video series? Then we can just point people to the video.

---

By:

Commander Jordan.1960

Replied On: 08/27/2014 at 11:25 PM

Engi Supremacy

By:

Commander MichaelESmith.6097
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 08/29/2014 at 11:03 AM

Keep Siege placement.  And Keep Siege ticking.  Bay, Hills and Garry.

Your friendly neighborhood Smitty here!
Sif Ellisdottir - Gaiscioch [GSCH]
Maelgwyn Gryffud - Gaiscioch [GSCH]

By:

Commander Soless.7830

Replied On: 08/29/2014 at 10:42 PM

There is so much we cover every week, but I think there needs to be a little bit more emphasis on builds.  It was brought up in the server meeting and I fully agree.  It is a little irritating when the commander calls everything out, stabos, waters, ccs, dodges and like 3 people end up where the cmdr is because everyone else melted to a regular AC.

--
Abyssal Soul/Dustbringer Chana/Wells Go/Tiras Soul/Pyrrhas Soul
[FX]/[ORDR]/[OMEN]

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 08/30/2014 at 08:03 AM

What if we covered a specific profession every week? If you have one at 80, bring it, otherwise just bring your regular toon. And we can talk about all the things that class should be doing?

---

By:

GamesRme.3690

Replied On: 08/31/2014 at 01:15 PM

As someone in the learning process, will these lessons become recorded events?  I also work until 11pm EST and can't attend.   My ranger's feelings have been hurt to the core so I'd concentrate on my Necro, Guard, Ele and Mesmer - probably in that order.  I'll leave the ranger in LA, promise!

Ellessar Sidhe

“Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself. ”
Chief Seattle

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 08/31/2014 at 02:28 PM

I put a bunch of training videos on YouTube you should check out. YouTube.com/playlist?list=PLCMFH2rECF1hDwLZ8kSQmeXhX15L6YFeb

---

By:

GamesRme.3690

Replied On: 08/31/2014 at 07:13 PM

Thank you!

Ellessar Sidhe

“Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself. ”
Chief Seattle

By:

Commander Soless.7830

Replied On: 08/31/2014 at 09:16 PM

I actually like that idea Karaoke.  Linking builds is one thing but seeing them in action is another.  Maybe focus on Eles first.  We still seem to be short on them.

--
Abyssal Soul/Dustbringer Chana/Wells Go/Tiras Soul/Pyrrhas Soul
[FX]/[ORDR]/[OMEN]

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved