Contents

[1.0] Introduction
[2.0] Builds
[3.0] Races
[4.0] Basic Hammer Gameplay Steps
[5.0] Misc Tips & Tricks
[6.0] FAQ

[1.0] Introduction

Hello, everyone. I'm Charles Warrior from the guild Fight As One [ONE]. We're a medium sized guild that run about 20-30 man WvW raids. I'm fortunate enough to play alongside many talented players and gain experience fighting against top-tier guilds like [NS], [EP], [Agg], [VR], and [Ark]. For the past few months I've been pushing myself to get better than all of the competition but I've now gone on hiatus until I recover my passion for GW2. The objective of this guide is to provide material for players to form their own build and playstyle.

[2.0] Builds

Key
(1) - Sigil of Bloodlust
(2) - Sigil of Perception
(3) - Sigil of Corruption

I. 3 Stance YOLO DPS Basic - 0 25 15 0 30 (Hammer/Greatsword) (1)
II. 4 Stance YOLO DPS Experimental - 0 25 25 0 20 - (Hammer/Greatsword) (1)
III. Periphery Pressure - 0 0 20 30 20 - (Axe+Axe/Sword+Warhorn) (2)
IV. Tanky Support - 0 0 20 30 20 - (Hammer/Sword+Warhorn) (1)
V. Adrenaline Junkie - 5 0 0 20 30 15 - (Hammer/Sword+Warhorn) (1)
VI. Greedy farming - 5 0 0 20 30 15 - (Hammer/Sword+Warhorn) (1)
VII. Sniper - 10 30 0 0 30 - (Rifle/Greatsword) (1)
VIII. Team roaming CC Warrior (1) - 20 0 20 0 30 - (Hammer/Mace+Shield) (1)
IX. Team roaming Full Bunker - 0 0 30 30 10 - (Sword+Warhorn/Mace+Shield) (1)
X. Solo roaming Hambow - 20 0 20 0 30 - (Hammer/Longbow) (1)
XI. Solo roaming Usain Bolt - 20 0 20 0 30 - (Greatsword/Longbow) (1)
XII. Solo roaming Condi - 0 10 30 0 30 - (Sword+Sword/Longbow) (3)

*Sigil of Stamina when not GvGing

[3.0] Races to consider for playing warrior

HUMAN - Best elites. I could argue using some of the human racials in place of the warrior elite banner/signet. This is the least manliest race and they have the ugliest hairstyles.
ASURA - The small size is good if you favor periphery play. This is a double-edged sword because Asura are short and ugly. You must be very dedicated to periphery play to spend your game time as an Asura.
NORN - Manliest race in the world. You are pretty much playing GW2 as Arnold Schwarzenegger. The elite transformations are only useful for traveling and putting your actual useful combat elites on cooldown.
CHARR - Elites are terrible. A melee train full of Charr is frightening to unconditioned amateurs but all I see is a kitty brigade. They also have a hard time standing up straight. Favored by hardcore furry roleplayers.

[4.0] Basic Hammer Gameplay Steps

1) Use Warhorn skill #5 to blast the combo field
2) Use your sword leap over the ethereal field for Chaos Armor If given. Switch weapons to hammer.
3.I) IF A BOMB IS CALLED Say "hammer stun" in VOIP then hammer stun the bad guys.
3.II) IF NO BOMB IS CALLED Say "cripple" in VOIP then use Hammer Shock (#3)
4) Spam 1
5) After bomb or when a regroup is called, switch weapons and press "4" to clear condis,
6) Press "2" if you're caught out of position.
7) Run towards commander
9) Repeat

[5.0] Miscellaneous tips and tricks

- While travelling from point to point, spam the skill Charge! (Warhorn #4) to grant the swiftness boon
- Macro your autoattack chain to your AoE Loot key.
- When using Inspiring Shouts, use FGJ and Shake It Off to gain adrenaline. This allows you to double blast a lightning field (area swiftness) with Call To Arms and Earthshaker.
- Warriors are the best class for reviving downed allies because most builds will have the master minor trait Fast Healer. If someone's downed on top of you, manual resurrect them instead of using warbanner.
- Final Thrust on downed enemies is an almost guaranteed hit.
- Flurry (sword burst skill) is just as good as Earthshaker in bombs. It's sometimes better than Earthshaker because it CCs enemies with stability.
- Use your underwater spear #5 skill for mobility. Make sure to hold down right-click and face the direction you want to whirl.
- You can dodge jump by pressing both the jump and dodge keybinds at the same time. This allows you to jump over obstacles while evading bombs and even makes you travel faster than a normal dodge.

[6.0] FAQ

Q: What builds do you mainly use?
A: For raids I use either Tanky Support or Adrenaline Junkie. For GvG I use Tanky Support or Periphery Pressure. For PUGs I use the Greedy Farming build.

Q: Full ascended is expensive. Any alternatives?
A: If you're not ultra competitive, just use exotics. I have maybe 30 weapons I mess around with and they're all exotic.

Q: How do I improve my survivability?
A: The greatest form of survivability is to not get hit in the first place. We're at the point in the game where any guild worth their salt will have bombs tighter than a virgin's kitten. This makes the area to die smaller but much more deadlier. Work on your positioning and dodging. After that, get good enough to predict what your commander's going to do as well as reading the enemy commander's likely movement. Most commanders are pretty lateral in their calls but the best ones makes the good calls faster.

Q: Why not use Leg Spekittent in the Tactics tree?
A: It only immobilizes one person.

Q: Is Spiked Armor worth it?
A: Not in team play. Your guardian core will give you enough retaliation with their utility shout "Stand Your Ground!".

Q: When do I use my shouts?
A: I use FGJ pretty liberally. Befores bombs, during bombs, etc. I just pop it for the DPS boost. Shake It Off! is more situational. If I feel like being a team player, I'll wait until I have 3+ conditions on me before I blow it. If I'm greedy or my guardian core is amazing at cleansing, I save Shake It Off! for the stun break. If you're GvGing a good guild, you're gonna get caught out so definitely save that stun break.

Q: When do I use Staggering blow?
A: This depends on the guild. When I ran with [ONE], we'd use Staggering Blow almost immediately after bombs. When I ran with [SONG], they specifically told me to never use Staggering Blow during bombs because it moved the enemies out of further danger. So it depends on preference really. I personally like to use Staggering Blow as we're gathering for a regroup or to knock a single enemy in to my melee core.

Q: Why do you value the minor master trait Fast Hands so much?
A: Speed is king for warriors. Right after you use your warhorn for blast finishing, you'll have your hammer available for bombs. If you're caught out, you'll have your weapon swap available to leap in to safety.

Q: Why are some of these links are the same build?
A: That would be the 0 0 20 30 20 build.That's because it's the best build right now for our role of tanky support. If you're running a daily raid where you have 10 warriors, go ahead and mess around with your build. If you're doing a constructed GvG where every man counts, bring out your best build. You don't always have time in-between GvG rounds to switch traits or gear. so it helps that if you can quickly switch between builds without retraiting.

Q: Instant cast, fast-cast ground targeting, or regular?
A: I change this setting depending on what class I play. For warrior, I use fast-cast ground targeting because accuracy is more important than speed when it comes to setting up hammer stuns.

Q: Full PTV is dumb.
A: I think so too. This guide is meant for new players and full PTV is the best until you learn how to survive. I normally like to hover around 30,000 health and lower if I'm in a GvG. In some situations you want your melee to be tanky and in some, you want to be glassy. It's all about adapting to what your enemy is targeting. That said, I always carry full PTV and full zerk sets in my inventory. As you get more advanced start adding in other stat combinations like cleric's or celestial.

Q: Why don't you use Rune of the Lyssa in your solo roaming builds?
A: 1. I like to play greedy 2. I rarely find times (outside of PvP) where the full condi clear would help. If I have 3 condition specced enemies attacking me, there's no running from it.

Q: Why not use Sigil of Hydromancy?
A: It shares cooldown with Sigil of Fire and I find Sigil of Fire to be more consistent.

Q: Why do you trait in to Reckless Dodge?
A: This trait became viable to me because of all the buffs (range, damage, max targets). The main reasons I like Reckless Dodge is consistent adrenaline gain and tagging blobs for Sigil of Fire/Sigil of Stamina. My playstyle isn't about dishing out the killing blow but more about getting reliable hammer stuns for my team to follow up. Sort of like the anvil for the hammer. In GvGs I'll replace Reckless Dodge with Destruction of the Empowered because the enemies should all be reliably running 5+ boons.
-Charles 1/25/2014

I am currently posting topics from our other SoR website that is closing down. I am not anybody that I am posting about.

» Edited on: 2014-02-26 15:50:49

Reason:

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved