May. 13, 2024
2:26 PM BST

Pryan's Guardian Guide

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Posted On: 03/04/2013 at 05:40 PM

I. Introduction

I decided to write this guide after numerous people asked me how I spec'd my guardian or what gear I used figuring it would be easier for not only me, but help out any guardians out there that feel squishy or just are looking for a build that rotates less around damage and more around your allies. I also wanted to make this guide because I feel that SoR in general could benefit from sharing builds more often that they feel work really well.

II. Gear

Weapon Set 1: Greatsword

A greatsword to me is a must have for guardians. The Binding blade (#5) combined with the Whirling Wrath (#2) is where most your damage will come from in this build. It is also great for using the symbol for combo fields, but I'll discuss that later on.
Stats should be Power/Toug/Vit

Weapon Set 2: Scepter/Shield, Hammer and Mace/shield

A shield/scepter is probably one of my favorite weapon combos, it allows for a quick disengage with Shield of Absorption (#5), but decent ranged attacks and a little bit of cc with the Chains of Light (#3).
One other thing that makes the shield strong is the burst heal from Shield of Absorption if used correctly. Basically if you use it right you can absorb all projectiles coming at you and which in turn will heal yourself, I've healed myself for about 3-4k before.

Mace/Shield is also a strong weaponset to have with protection builds. 

I've been running hammer alot more for my build lately and it has been working out amazingly well especially the cc you can throw down.

Stats: Try to get healing power and pwr on scepter and shield if you can.

Armor: I run Power/Toug/Vit on all my gear. Most this gear you can pick up from Karma vendors / Dungeon stores using tokens.

Accessories: I run pure cleric on all my accessories. I feel that the added healing power combined with the points put into Honor tree and the Absolute Resolution major trait will give you around 200-300 hp per tick. Switching over to full ascended acessories will bring your healing power up to almost 1100 with full stacks on your sigil of life.

Guild backpack. Too lazy to go out and get a better one.

Exotics only.

III. Traits, Runes, and Sigils

Traits: I will be listing not only my points I put into each one, but my reasoning behind it all.

Zeal: 0 / Zeal is a decent place to trait into especially if you go just 10 points in and get the added dmg vs foes on fire. Other then that I don't believe it is needed for a guardian to do dmg, and it only takes away from my builds overall effect.

Radiance: 0 / Same thing as Zeal for the most part. You are adding condition dmg and precision, which takes away from this build. I do believe this is a good place to trait into if you are planning on doing a....Blinding Virtue build if you want to call it that.

Valor: 10 / This is where you pick up two major traits that help out not only yourself, but your allies as well.

Major Traits: Purity
Minor Traits: Valorous Defense

Purity: Lose a condition every 10 seconds.

This is a must have, with this constantly going along with other traits/runes you will be a juggernaut.

Honor: 30 / I put 30 in Honor mostly for the 20% reduction on Shouts, Two-handed sword skills and extra condition removal. The healing dodge rolls and deal more dmg at low endurance also add quite nicely into this build once it is all put together.

Major Traits: Superior Aria / Two-handed Mastery / Pure of voice
Minor Traits: Vigorous Precision / Selfless Daring / Elusive Power

Superior Aria: 20% CD shout reduction
Taking this MT will allow for alot more CC removal and better aide to your allies.

Two-Handed Mastery: 20% CD on Two-Handed weapons
Since most of your dmg is coming from your greatsword it is especially important to have this, as it will bring some of your best sword skills down to a reasonable time. Binding blade and Symbol of Wrath are both long CD.

Pure of voice: Allies affected by shouts convert one condition to a boon.

This adds to your amount of Condition Removal. 

Virtues: 30 / Not much to say except that this makes the build 100% better.

Major Traits: Vengeful / Absolute Resolution/Indomitable Courage
Minor Traits: Inspired Virtue/ Virtue of Retribution/ Power of the Virtuous

Vengeful: Retaliation last 25% longer.

What makes this strong is that the Guardian naturally has alot of skills that add retaliation, but add this into that and the minor trait which makes it so Virtues give retaliation. You are looking at about 40-60 secs of retaliation. Lets be honest with ourselves, who doesn't want that? Not only that, but combined with the shouts 20% CD reduction you can keep retaliation up nonstop on your guardian.

Absolute Resolution: Activating Virtue of Resolve removes 3 conditions. Virtue of Resolves passive effect is stronger.

Ace Card. That's what this is, it removes up to three conditions and with Inspired Virtue it will add regen to you as well. Only activate this as one of your OH kitten kittenons. The rest of the build handles most of the CC laid down upon you.

Indomitable Courage: Allows for additional stability which is always a blessing. Use it when your stability off Stand your ground runs its course.

ALTERNATE MAJOR TRAIT LINE:

Master of Consecrations: Consecration skills recharge 20% faster and last longer

Consecrated Ground: Consecration skills use ground targeting.

Absolute Resolution: VoR removes 3 conditions. 

Runes: Superior Soldier Runes is the only rune you will be running here. The biggest thing you will be taking away from these runes is the last slot on them (Shouts remove a condition)

Sigils:

So for this one there are several ways you can go. Double sigil of stamina or Restoration on your GS and Hammer. Sigil of Stamina or Restoration on shield then the heal stack on sceptor. 

IV. Outcome

The combinations of all this will result in what most people would consider a Shout Guardian. Its purpose is to be able to dive huge zergs tank the conditions laid upon you and come back out when you get low. I am able to remove up to about 10 conditions with this build and much more if used correctly.

The stacks of healing you get from your scepter/hammer will add into your semi-low healing power boosting it to around 1,100. That will stack with your Virtue of Resolve and thus makes the Inspired virtue trait stronger, but strengthening the regen as well. You also strengthen the Absolute Resolution MT by adding in all this extra healing, giving you in total about 200-300hp per tick.

You will also maintain around 40-60 seconds of retaliation through all this.

V. Gameplay

As a Guardian I believe you shouldn't be the one dealing damage or the one standing in the back with a staff out giving might stacks and healing people. Guardians should be front line brawlers, they are there to tank the main strike of a force so that the dps can reach them and do their jobs.

You never really want to dive too far in when playing a guardian though especially if no one follows you. Death is all that awaits you.

When playing a guardian in groups larger then 5, always try to take the point, try to be in front and that way if you collide with a zerg or something happens you are able to react and be doing what you are suppose to be right away instead of straggling up to the front line.

When first engaging the enemies start off with your Binding Blades on your GS, if there are more guardians then you try to space yourselves out when using binding blades, so that when you activate the skill you hit as many targets as possible. When pulling it is ideal for all guardians to try to collapse on each other or get close to each other so when the pulls go off, you group up as much enemies as possible. Allowing your dmg dealers an easier time to get all the dmg in one area. instead of focusing the AoEs and dps across multiple areas. After the pull, start off with the Symbol of Wrath and then follow into the Leap of Faith, the combo field will give retaliation, this should be a quick combo. Follow all this up with Whirling wrath and activate Virtue of Justice during it.

Virtue of courage can be activated at any time after your original aegis is removed.

Slot skills: Hold the Line / Save yourselves / Stand your ground.

Elite: Renewed Focus / Book of Wrath

You can use Hold the Line just before impact on a zerg, if used near other guardians also using it you can get up to 12 sec of Protection (-33% dmg) across your front line especially if you are running a proctection spec guardian then you'll actually be to have a full uptime of protection across the frontline. Stand your ground should also be used just at the moment of impact, not before, but right as you hit them activate it. Most players will hold their big CC until impact and will start off with kittenty AoEs to try to slow you down/wear you down. That's what the protection is for though. The Stability part of Stand your ground will allow you to dive further into the enemy zerg and allows you to do what you need to do before having to get out.

Use Renewed Focus as needed.

You will always be using Renewed Focus in open field/sieges. The only time I ever use Book of Wrath is when they have rams or golems on the doors. Using this skill, then using the #4 skill on it followed by spamming the #1 skill will allow you to dish out around 10k dmg plus. The #1 skill has no AoE target limit as far as I am aware. I have used it on HB when they stacked and got about 50 bags (1 from each of them).

Tome of Courage is also a really good elite skill and must have for any guardians that run a high end healing spec. 

Also as a side note, if your guild runs a MA like TW does, then your job is to follow the MA unless you are MA then you lead the melee train. Melee trains will keep moving through the enemies and only reset when low ( Dropping heals on us is a godsend if you can) Usually the train should have enough guardians and warriors that they can remove conditions left and right and not worry about that so much and focus more on thier job. MA should usually be a guardian because Guardians have alot higher rate of surivial under the conditons thrown down on you. 

GS/Hammer breakdown. 

I've been using this combo more and while Staff/hammer is a better support spec. GS/Hammer carries the most CC and if you are good at the combo this weapon set allows then by all means go for it, however don't be greedy if your team is need of staff guardians. The idea behind this combo set is to get yourself in the middle of their group then use whirling wrath to proc all the Aegis being applied by their people, once done you turn and use Binding blades before the pull is even finished, switch to hammer and use Ring of Warding. You can complete this combo before they even have a chance to get up and before the pull even pulls them to you all the way. This being used in a melee train completely wrecks large groups especially if you actually hit your pull. 

Another good usage for GS/hammer is to always start out with hammer when a zerg is charging you, then when they are about to hit, throw down the #3 skill for a 1200 range chain immbolize. This should be used for all guardians. That's at  least 10 chains of immoblization that literally will halt their zerg in its tracks. That forces their melee train to use breakers and condition removals early on and allows you an early advantage on them by allowing your range a few more good AoEs ontop of them before having to dodge the train.

Ps. FFS if you do not actually PULL anyone, do not call out that you have a pull or are pulling. You waste our ranges CC and as well as the melees. You'll note that I almost never call out that I got a pull unless I know I got one.

VI. Conclusion

I am not claiming I run the best guardian build out there, but I do believe I run a very solid build that definitely benefits the people I run with. I have survived things most others would not and have even been able to manage 1v5s and 1v9s being the highest ( they were really bad so I can't credit myself too much) I hope people take the time to read this all, I know its sorta long. Any advice or tips anyone else has would be appreciated. I was also half awake while typing this all out so I may have missed some. 

This is a WvW build only really and works well for small mans and large groups. I use it for PvE too but hardly do PvE. This is a pure TEAM build for a Guardian and is probably one of the few, but really well team based builds. 

I will be updating throughout my gameplay as a guardian as well as updating videos of guardian play to my youtube channel, If you wish to see this build used in action I suggest you watch my youtube channels and see more of how I play/deal with situations on my guardian. There are a ton of good builds out there which I can link some here as well for people if they want. 

I know all builds for guardians and have experimented with most of them, minus some of the newer ones out there. If you are wanting something abit different you can ask me in game or talk to me on TS and I'd be more then willing to help you out on a build that fits your playstyle. 

Shout Guardian, sanctuary build. 

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3.4|1.1c.h1j|2.1c.h1j|1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.7x.1c.0.1c.7x.1c.7x|2u.0.31l.e15.21l.e13.21l.e13.31l.e15.1c.68|0.0.a5.u29b.u369|0.0|v.16.18.19.1i|e 

» Edited on: 2013-07-19 14:50:57

» Edited on: 2013-07-19 14:52:14

» Edited on: 2013-07-19 19:07:49

Pryan - TW

Guardian

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nakoor

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander Kyle.3856
   Member of Free of Fate

Replied On: 03/05/2013 at 10:14 AM

It is a decent build and I have tried one similar before but it didn't quite fit my playstyle. The only change I would suggest making is to take 5 points away from virtues and give it to honor. With that, you can either run Battle Presence and pass your massive auto-heal to everyone else as well or you could could add Pure of Voice to remove another condition on shouts.

As a side note, you should probably generate a build link on gw2buildcraft.com and add it to your guide. It makes it easy to see the final stats you have along with what all you equip.

Kyne
Free of Fate

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Replied On: 03/05/2013 at 12:49 PM

I will add the build into the thread at a later date, but I'd prefer people to read through it all and not just look for the build page and go with it from there. I have adjusted several small things such as switching to hammer full time now since it works with our melee train so well.

Switching over 5 to Honor would be fine and all, but we already have several guardians spec'd like that so I can sacrifice that for more damage from boons. PoV would be fine also, but at the moment I can remove around 20 conditions a minute, on top of what the other guardians do for the train.

Pryan - TW

Guardian

By:

Commander Kyle.3856
   Member of Free of Fate

Replied On: 03/05/2013 at 03:01 PM

Good point on the other guardians running BP/AR. But, it brought another question to mind, if there are other Guards running BP/AR possibly with full clerics gear, wouldn't their passive heal be better? Last time I played with a BP/AR build, I noticed that other guardians don't get the BP passive unless they have popped the virtue of resolve. So, you being the "other guardian" in this case, wouldn't it be better to try to keep down your virtue of resolve so that you can gain the better heal? Also, if this is true you can change your accessories for more damage and possible drop 10 points in virtues and place it towards AH or something?

Of course all of this could vary depending on the make up and numbers of your crew.

Kyne
Free of Fate

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Replied On: 03/05/2013 at 08:30 PM

Our crew should all be running nothing but Power, Tough, Vit gear. Mostly our VoR are used for a last minute clearing of conditions from ourselves and healing our melee train. It helps to have Eles dropping heals on us if possible, but thats not always available. Usually at least one of us have VoR running, I usually pop my VoR whenever I start to get too many stacks of conditions or if I notice another melee getting low on hp. Diving as hard as our train does though tends to make it hard to keep VoR running constant even on one of our guardians.

A quick regen from a ele spec'd in water or such does wonders and allows us to use our VoR without worry.

Yes Clerics gear does give amazing healing power if you stack across it and this can be seen in Christos's Healway Guardian build.

Pryan - TW

Guardian

By:

buki.1243

Replied On: 03/08/2013 at 01:28 PM

Which do you think is more important for us?

1. Builds to keep protection up

2. Builds to trap zerg tails with Ring of Warding + Judge's Intervention

And what are your thoughts on Battle Presence vs. Justice is Blind/Renewed Justice?

Passive Battle Presence can heal about 10k/min for 5 people, but Renewed Justice can give lots of might, burns, and blinds (you have to be rolling people already though..)

Consecrations - I never see anyone using these anymore. Why? I try to use Ground Targeted Wall of Reflection, but it can be situational. Same thing with Hallowed Ground.

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Replied On: 03/08/2013 at 11:16 PM

I personally don't use judge's intervention alot. I like having all my slots be shouts that affect allies as it benefits my allies more. We have one guardian that runs a protection build and he usually can keep it up almost nonstop during our melee train.

Traiting 5 into Radiance for Justice is Blind is fine if you don't have Nercos blinding for you. If you do trait it elsewhere say Power of Voice or how I have it.

Renewed Focus is amazing for your OH CRAP button, it allows for quick escapes and an easy way to get some quick heals off.

Im not to sure about consecrations, the best bet I would have is that they are not as team based as my build or other such builds and more small man to solo builds.

» Edited on: 2013-03-09 01:09:30

Pryan - TW

Guardian

By:

buki.1243

Replied On: 03/09/2013 at 01:58 AM

Ok, I'm glad you mentioned the Necro blinds... because this build feels awkward. I pulled it from a RG video lol.

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Replied On: 03/09/2013 at 08:45 AM

It can work out and be strong especially if no necros, however with necros there other stuff to spec into and you need to go at least 15 into radiance to make it worthwhile, because then you are spamming the blind and not just using part of it. Thats part of a different build though.

Honestly I don't think RG has alot on anyone, they have a really good and tight melee train, but I think you can handle that if you run as tight of a melee train, I mean skill still comes into play on some of it, but I haven't fought them so Im not sure yet on how they are.

» Edited on: 2013-03-09 09:47:08

Pryan - TW

Guardian

By:

lucasktyo.6304
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 03/09/2013 at 10:44 AM

Great guide, Pryan!

Consecrations are great, but they are in a huge CD and are very situational. I used to roll Sanctuary + Wall of Reflection a lot, they are great when you are defending a point (ex. sanctuary on the way to garri top and WoR when defending a choke/bridge) but again, it's very situational. Shouts have a smaller cooldown and you use them a lot. I'm personaly running a full shout/condi removal build (actually I think most guardians in our WvW crew are running this atm) and it's a lot more useful, not only because it's on a shorter cooldown, but also because you'll be using it anytime, every push in every fight.

I also tried Judge's Intervention + Ring of Warding and I think it's awesome, but only if we have more people using it. It's awesome to catch a zerg tail and to surprise your enemy jumping in the middle of their zerg. Downside is you lose a shout/whatever you are using that might be more useful in the middle of the fight than a simple blink.

15 point in Radiance used to be a must for my build, especially with AH. Great self heal+blind spam. I still think it's viable but as Pryan said, we already have 2+ necros spamming blind all the time so focusing on more condi removal/survability/support makes sense.

Again, awesome guide Pryan! I've learned a lot from you :)

--Derruba

By:

Orikx.9671

Replied On: 03/12/2013 at 10:17 AM

What about the 15 Radiance for the Vulnerability spam? Is it worth it for that?

I've been leveling a Guard recently and it seems like the Blind Exposure actually applies 3 stacks per person it hits. Or something else weird is happening with Leap of Faith. I notice that if I use GS and use Leap of Faith into a pack of mobs I immediately apply 15 stacks of Vuln to them all. If Virtue of Justice works the same, which I haven't checked, in theory you could keep 25 stacks of Vulnerability on big groups of people rather easily if they people are dieing a lot, which they usually are.

Edit: I just did some research. It appears it's bugged for Leap of Faith so for every person blinded it applies 3 stacks of Vuln. So if you leap into a stack of 5 you apply 15 stacks to all 5. If you leap into 3 you apply 9 stacks, etc...

That being said. Is it worth it from the Virtue of Justice spam for Vuln perspective? If you hit 5 people every time which as melee you probably will. That's 15 total stacks of Vuln every few seconds depending on how often people are going down.

» Edited on: 2013-03-12 10:24:58

Orikx - TWL
Krikx - TWL

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Replied On: 03/12/2013 at 12:54 PM

Personally, I dislike traiting 15 points over to Radiance, I actually did make a build rotating around that and it's probably very close to what the other Burning Blind build is. The build itself works out amazingly you blind nonstop as long as someone is dying and the stacks of invul stack quite nicely as well, so yes running with a group of people running that would be amazing for invul stacks.

So if you want to actually trait into that its fine, however once more remember if you have Necros to blind you don't need to worry about that, but I was talking this over with one of our guardians last night, I think we may start having one guardian put 15 into radiance so that if we do happen to get to far from the Necros for the blinds then we have our own and also the ability to spam invul.

You could take 5 from each of the other areas to do this. If you do it keep the 70 toughness for allies in Valor since you will be losing one major trait, You will lose the 1 condition every 10 seconds however the toughness helps more so for your allies.

Also for those of you who don't know what the 15 radiance is capable of. It is literally a non-stop blind that never is in CD as long as people are dying. I've used it 15 times in a fight that lasted only about a couple seconds. It's very strong however if a guardian in the group does use it, you only really need 1-2 Guardians using it due to the quick CD.

Sorry for long response Orixx.

I also will be uploading videos hopefully this week of small man to roaming solo as Guardian trying out different builds for such.

» Edited on: 2013-03-12 12:55:24

Pryan - TW

Guardian

By:

Orikx.9671

Replied On: 03/13/2013 at 06:57 AM

Don't apologize for the long response. It provided a lot of info which is what I was looking for and thanks for answering the questions. Since my Guard isn't ready for WvW yet I'm unable to test some of the things I'm looking to do. Theory only gets you so far then real world situations need to be tested. So having someone that has experimented with a lot of this stuff can save you from a lot of time and deaths.

I think if I go the Renewed Justice route then I will be doing an AH build and losing all but 5 points in vitues. Spamming VoJ should amount to a lot of extra healing with AH and since I have to lose Absolute Resolution anyways I'll probably need the extra healing.

One last question. Regarding Strength in Numbers. Since it doesn't stack do you typically only have 1 or 2 guards run it? Then the others take Retributive Armor? Even though HP doesn't scale very well that is an extra 90 heal every time you dodge if you have around 1800 toughness.

Orikx - TWL
Krikx - TWL

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Replied On: 06/11/2013 at 03:21 PM

I will be updating this build as well as making several other builds and adding them into this. I will include the build from the site builders and a short explanation behind each one. I will also be covering more ground on a Guardian's purpose in World vs World. I am hoping to finish it all by tomorrow, if you don't see it done by then feel free to bother me! I want to get it all typed out and updated before I leave for my vacation next week.

Pryan - TW

Guardian

By:

Commander Nakoor.1980
   Member of Tempest Wolves

Replied On: 07/19/2013 at 07:10 PM

This build has been updated with my current build.

Pryan - TW

Guardian

By:

tyaen.5148

Replied On: 08/26/2013 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for the guide. Got my Guardian to 60 today, and even as an uplevel his survivability is pretty impressive in WvW.

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved