London
May. 13, 2024
5:13 AM BST

WvW Command/Pugmmanding

By:

MoldyChip.2394

Posted On: 02/26/2014 at 04:19 PM

Hello guys,

Frozen asked me if I could post some stuff about pugmanding. Here's what I wrote when I was assisting my old Warhammer server Darklands. Some of the terms are Warhammer related, I didn't have time to edit:

Terrain - Making good use of terrain will help you fight off a larger force. Especially so with choke points used in defense. Psychological advantage can be gained from attacking from a higher part of a slope.

Scout - Scouts are the most valuable tool you have on the battlefield, they are your eyes and ears. Correct intel from scouts will give you time to prepare your next move. Thieves are often the best scouts, with the ability to stealth for quick exit plus permanent increase in running speed. They are also great for ganking lone stragglers.

Size - More than numbers, this includes morale, unity & cohesion of your warband. On a separate note, retreating from a larger force is not cowardice (as stated by Art of War). Knowing when to withdraw your forces to find another place/time where you have a better fighting chance is a wise move.

Stealth - This is not actual stealth, it's about keeping your troops out of sight until they are going to be unleased on your enemies. For example, using different exit points/routes and keeping off the main road will keep your size and direction unknown. By keeping your troop hidden, your enemy cannot properly gauge your size and appropriate a proper response.

Speed - Using waypoints, shortcuts. Getting your team to equip swiftness, perm speed increase traits will give you an advantage. Getting to a destination faster is a huge advantage, esp in defense.

Surprise - "Surprise is the handmaiden of victory". With surprise, your force might be able take on a bigger force when the enemy is looking the other way. Using alternative PvE entry routes, moving in a different pattern in WvW is part of surprise. Predictability = Death. Flanks and ambushes are part of this factor. Catching your enemy off balanced and killing the backline healers will often guarantee a wipe. Do it often enough to the enemy warband and you will demoralize & break their spirits.

In addition, these are a few good books to reference, there are a lot of lessons in these books can be applied to WvW:
Art of War - Sun Tzu
Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
Red Phoenix - Larry Bond

Here are some tips on how to lead a PUG group. Most folks don't like to do this because it requires a lot of time and effort. Ultimately, this game is about fun and if you don't find it fun leading PUGs, don't do it. Also, you will never have 100% of the guys listening to you, so either put the guy on /ignore or leave him to die in WvW alone. Death is the only lesson that dissenters learn from:

1. Patience.

2. Patience.

3. Patience.

4. Do not use words/phrases that you wouldn't use on your mother.

5. Preventing a wipe must remain at the top of your priorities. If you know that your warband might get wiped, prepare your troops by giving them a warning. This is extremely crucial for maintaining morale. If warband morale drops, confidence in your leadership will be shaken and the warband will probably disband after 1 or 2 wipes. In short, having a career with more wiping than getting wiped guarantees a higher level of trust in your leadership.

6. Feed your warband with kills and loot. This will boost morale and increase warband cohesion.

8. If people don't obey your instructions, don't be afraid to give warnings. Also, be generous and say "thank you" to your people when they have done a good job. The PUG in your group is also a human being sitting in front of a PC, trying to have fun. Encouragement and firm discipline without using harsh words will build trust and loyalty. You will be able to get your warband to make more complex maneuvers as they grow in experience. The Art of War speaks about a benevolent leader caring for his troops. It's a good lesson not only for WvW but for real life. As in real life and WvW, your people will know whether you have their welfare in mind or not. Love your troops and they will follow you.

9. If you joined a warband and you have suggestions, /w the warband leader. Do not give suggestions that look like orders, people in the warband might get confused.

fannwong 1/26/2014

I am not fannwong, I am posting topics from our other SoR website that is closing down.

Reason:

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved