Apr. 20, 2024
8:25 AM BST

Fun Look At The Tiers of Guild Wars 2

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506
   Site Admin of Gaiscioch na Rall

Posted On: 11/06/2014 at 01:37 PM

Greetings Everyone,

I created a little post on the official forums outlining my experiences in each tier of WvW. It's a good little read and I figure it might get some more like minded guilds interested in joining us here on Sanctum of Rall.

Original Post:

Choosing the Right Server For Your Guild

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/recruitment/Choosing-the-Right-Server-For-Your-Guild/

Greetings Everyone,
Over the past 2 years I’ve been at the back of the pack and the front of the pack. The playstyles of the servers all in between are vastly different. I know many guilds are looking for new homes and I would like to take some time to explain the climates within various servers as I see it.

Your Focus

First and foremost you need to decide where you as a guild stands. Why do you play WvW? Is it to be part of the best server in GW2? Is it to be the best in your timeslot? Is it to be a part of a community? These are all questions you need to ask and discover the answer to. You can not have success with your team without knowing where you stand and what your after.

The Many Goals of WvW

When you break WvW down to a mechanic there are several things at play.

Server Rankings: Rank each of our servers from 1 to 24 or 27 depending on the region. This metric was placed into game to be the Unicorn that the competitive in nature chase. Without this piece ArenaNet would not be able to ensure the competitive nature of WvW and keep the most competitive players playing.

Points Per Tick: This allows competitive players to gauge how successful they have been in raising their servers overall score. Competitive players will be compelled to drive this higher.

Objectives: Scattered throughout the battlefield these provide players with targets to try to overtake. Some communities focus on taking as many as possible, some focus on holding as many as possible. In the end the mechanic of WvW is centered around taking and holding objectives. Most players will play WvW to do so.

These are the primary elements to WvW. After that you get some of the Meta games including:

GvG & Duels: Guild on Guild Action is quite popular. There are large portions of communities that love to get in on this action and hopefully someday ArenaNet will encourage some structured GvG action.

Karma Farming: This focuses on taking a lot of objectives quickly avoiding the majority of fights in exchange for high turnover in rewards including wEXP, EXP, Gold, Loot, and Karma. This is traditionally a fan favorite of casual communities.

The Fights!: Many guilds play WvW for the fights. The scoreboard plays secondary and they are just looking to find an opponent to fight. I see a whole lot of these types out there that will even forgo the reward if it means they have something to kill.

Psycological Warfare: Some players find a ton of enjoyment in tricking their enemy into doing things they want them to do. This can be a really fun metagame if you’re good at it. There’s nothing like having your opponent open a door for you so you can steal it away from them. Some players prefer PvP over PvE because PvP involves Psychology. It’s more of a sport than just a game.

Complitionists: These players are out for achievements and map completion. You will find them occasionally out there and they are motivated by achievements. Unlike the PPT chasers they chase a different metric being their achievement score.

Now these are just a few of the types of WvW fun you can find out there. What you want to think about is why do you play?

The Matchup Breakdown

Now being Football season I’ll make an analogy for you all about choosing a server by it’s tier.

Tier 1 & 2: The NFL

These are the pinnacle of the competitive WvW servers. They are focused solely on the first few of the Goals above and PPT rules all. These servers typically have the best coverage, the most aggressive guilds, and a very competitive attitude.

Pros:

• Competitive
  • 24/7 Coverage
  • In the spotlight
  • Fast Paced
  • Heavy Action

Cons:

• Queues
  • Lag / Crashes / Disconnects
  • Zerg Focused
  • Very Few Small Scale Fights
  • Competitive
  • High Guild Turnover
  • Requires high time commitment and investment

Tier 3 & 4: NCAA

These servers typically are on the rise. They are competitive focused but lack the coverage to be a serious contender in Tier 1 & 2. Typically you see them recruiting from Tier 1 and 2 with promises of future glory.

Pro:

• Focus on Building Community & Numbers
  • Passionate WvW Community
  • Occasional Small Scale Fights

Cons:

• Lack of Coverage
  • Division of Playstyles is usually present
  • The Blame Game can cause major problems within the community.

Tier 5 & 6: High School

These servers are future thinking. They are working on planning a foundation that will lead them to higher glory. Usually these servers are in the rebuilding phase of trying to attract the competitive players to their server so that they can begin to make the climb into the higher tiers.

Pros:

• Your guild matters
  • Appreciation for efforts
  • Tighter knit communities with less ego war
  • Lots of Small Scale fights

Cons:

• Lack of coverage
  • Blame Game can hurt progress
  • Hard to gain new players and guilds

Tier 7 & 8: Recreational Beer League

These servers could care less what the PPT is at the end of the week so long as they had a good time. In my time in WvW I must say some of my funnest nights have been in these tiers. The attitudes are light, by now most of the seriously competitive players have left for other shores and what’s left is the people who just care about sharing some time with friends and having a good laugh.

Pros:

• Light Attitudes
  • Good Learning Environment
  • Pretty Evenly matched fights
  • Great place for casual players
  • Your efforts are clearly seen
  • Breeds communities focused on fun and friendliness
  • Lots of Small Scale fights

Cons:

• No coverage
  • Little Competitiveness
  • Near Impossible to recruit competitive players
  • Competitive players tend to get frustrated with lack of drive

In The End

You need to find the type of community you want to be a part of. Whether its an established champion like Blackgate or Jade Query, or an Up And Comer like Isle of Janthir or Northern Shiverpeaks, or you just want to share a pint and a spike with some great people and have a good laugh with folks like Sanctum of Rall and Ferguson’s Crossing. In the end we all play this game for different goals.

Success is a matter of Perspective, not a mechanic. For some being champion is Success, for others making a difference on the battlefield when they can is Success, for others it’s sharing a good laugh with friends. Each of our goals are different and thats what makes this game so beautiful.

We have so many great cultures and lifestyles all blended into these 8 tiers. Whatever your playstyle theres a home waiting for you.

» Edited on: 2014-11-06 13:38:06

Benjamin Foghladha
Community Manager, SanctumofRall.com
Founder and Activities Director, The Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander Mistress Collisto.1546

Replied On: 11/07/2014 at 03:02 AM

Should have a thumbs up button. ;)  I like it

Mistress Collisto|Molly Oakenheart|Lena Andersdotter|Heather Jones
Guild Leader of [JADE] www.Immortalizedin.enjin.com

By:

Commander kingxcon.5607
   Member of WarFreak

Replied On: 11/11/2014 at 09:08 PM

+1 Well said.

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved