10:54 AM EDT
London
Apr. 19, 2024
3:54 PM BST

Scout Training

By:

SEAGLE.6195

Posted On: 03/26/2014 at 09:55 AM

I was so excited this past Saturday morning when we first saw a waypoint in Garrison for a long time.  It was also exciting when Commanders were assigning scout duties.  These are all signs of the positive progression we've made in the last several weeks.  Hopefully, this will continue to grow and that will require more scouting to occur.  I know that scout duty is not elegant or fun, but it will be increasingly important as we continue.  I'm wondering if part of the issue with limited volunteers has to do with not knowing what the duties entail.  We have a lot of people who recently joined WvW.  I certainly did not volunteer at first because I did not want the responsibility of losing the tower/keep because I did not know what I was doing.  I will volunteer, but know that I have only the basic understanding.

Aingeal and others have done a fantastic job with overall training.  Should we begin having a few training specifically for scouting?  It would help to learn the following:

1. Important areas to scout from each tower/keep.

2. Vulnerable spots for each tower/keep.

3. Reset siege weapons.

4. How best to use siege weapons to defend each tower/keep.

5. Specific information to relay to commanders.

I hope that training will encourage more volunteers.  If the training is occurring or this information is already available on the website, then I apologize for this duplicated post.

Soar on wings like EAGLE -- SEagle

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander sscripko.5387
   Member of Archangels Haven

Replied On: 03/26/2014 at 02:24 PM

I try and give people the knowledge of where to scout by using all the different locations to attack a tower/keep.  Cata walls in Bay, spots at spawn tower, garri, etc.  

While I personally don't mind running anyone who wants knowledge of scouting through the various towers and keeps, I find it is best to teach by doing the opposite.  In this case, using those sneaky spots to take towers, taking down the enemy siege, showing everyone what to do by watching for the enemy doing it.  (Of course my favorite time to play is the time of day where a 10 man zerg can roflstomp the entire map).

You can say they build stuff in this corner, but when you do it yourself as the attacker, you know right where it is going to go in the corner.

------

Archangels Haven [HALO] - WvW Command Team. Purchaser of the Golems. TS Administrator.

By:

Commander xivor.8754
   Member of Chariot of Fire

Replied On: 03/26/2014 at 02:34 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea!  Scouting is vital to the success on a map as they are the eyes and ears of the Commanders when the Commanders are not around. A scout or two with seige on a tower could be just enough to hold that tower until reinforcements get there for a full defense.  As well, the intel factor is VITAL!

I concur that good scout training would be a great idea.  In a case like this, it would be wise to have one commander running a group around capping while another expert is in another channel setting up scout positioning and teaching the placement and defense and intel gathering techniques.  This way, they could learn while engaged in the gameplay, supporting a capping Commander.  Just my thoughts. I myself, as a Commander, could use some training on Scouting to better my role as a Commander, as I know there is much that I do not know still.

Combat Medic Barbie | Mist Walker Barbie | Rigor Mortis Barbie

Guild Leader of Chariot of Fire [FIRE]

By:

WayNe.6981
   Member of Ground ZërO

Replied On: 03/26/2014 at 08:43 PM

We don't have enough ppl for scout during late SEA or EU, but we'd try to cover this part during our run.

As I have been saying, mesmer is more effective role to scout in north towers and garri.  They can port ppl in in a few seconds from spawn, so they don't heave to run through gate and die.  Also they can port you from ne tower to to camp quickly, as long as ppl know where to jump and stay for portal.  If you'd like to know the spots, pls contact me in game.

By:

EiLrahc.8076

Replied On: 03/27/2014 at 12:01 AM

In terms of siege placement, I found this video recently that I thought would be useful for new Commanders:

These are the general locations of where sieges can be placed in garrison, towers and keeps.

Eilrahc (Mesmer) | Hier Kinslayer (Warrior) | Thanatos Terrae (Necro) | Bag Full Of Kittens (Engi)

By:

Commander Jeff.5139

Replied On: 03/27/2014 at 12:33 AM

For reference and more scouting tips please look here:

http://www.sanctumofrall.com/discussion/sor_announcements/post_43196.html

By:

Commander irishrose.9580
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 03/29/2014 at 07:57 PM

The video does show some good locations for siege placement but it also shows several locations that make use of exploits in the game.  Anytime you place siege behind a wall and shoot through it that is an exploit and is not usually condoned.  Fogh also was one of the first to place trebuchet behind the keep doors.  This was frowned upon by some until they found out how much damage a poison cloud can do or how much damage a boulder tossed at the gate can cause.  Run with some of the current commanders on the field to find out up to date locations, since the video above is quite old now.  This is shown by the lack of the wall separating Garrison from Bay.  You can no longer treb bay from the backside of garrison.

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved