London
Mar. 29, 2024
1:53 PM GMT

11/15-11/21 Beer Recommendations

By:

Commander sscripko.5387
   Member of Archangels Haven

Posted On: 11/16/2014 at 09:00 AM

As we are clearly in beer league, HALO has begun working on a recommended drinking list for every matchup.  This weeks recommendations:

1)  Westmalle "Dubbel" - 8% ABV, 28 IBU.  A trappist ale, this beer is made on grounds at a monastery in Belgium overseen by the monks of the monastery.  We recommend this beer when you are converting the masses with arrow carts.  If you've ever had a "dubbel" before, this abbey created the name, and style of beer in the 1800s.

2) Victory Brewing "V12" - 12% ABV, 50 IBU.  We recommend this beer when you are cranking it up to 11 with golems and making a map have more colors than your christmas tree.  This beer was the grand champion in 2012 at the US Beer Tasting Championship.

3) Troegs "Dreamweaver" - 4.8% ABV, 15 IBU.  This is brewed using an open-top method, where the yeast is skimmed off the top of one batch to brew the next batch.  We recommend drinking this beer when you take your boots off in WvW, to enable you to better feel the AOE under your feet.  

(ABV = Alcohol by Volume, IBU = International Bitterness Units)

In the NE US, these are all available at your local Wegmans, and both victory and westmalle are available in many countries around the world! 

And remember kids, don't drink and command.  You'll drive your zerg off a cliff!

» Edited on: 2014-11-16 09:03:00

------

Archangels Haven [HALO] - WvW Command Team. Purchaser of the Golems. TS Administrator.

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander Mistress Collisto.1546

Replied On: 11/16/2014 at 01:00 PM

I am a fan of the dark beers, and seeing as how many if not all that SSCRIPKO added here are not available to those in the midwest, I am adding some midwest choices.

1) August Schell "FireBrick"  - 5% ABV, No IBU available. Reddish-Amber hue. Carries a mild, pleasant maltiness with subtle sweetness and a light hoppy finish. A very drinkable, year round beer.  

2) Morland Brewery(UK) "Old Speckled Hen" -  5.2% ABV, Nice English Ale, smooth and easy to drink... Doesn't have an overwhelming taste either way. Makes a great session ale with nice malt presence~

3) Big Sky Brewing Company "Moose Drool" 5.10 ABV, Toasted, nutty malt, with caramel and light floral hops form the aroma. There's a hint of chocolate and an almost smoky character. Flavor is herbal, smoky, nutty, with a hint of fruity specialty malt character and cola. The finish is dry and a touch bitter. A fairly even heel brew without any stand-out characteristics. The smoky notes are unexpected.

In the Midwest August Schell should be available at most MGM's., I think Old Speckled Hen is available at most large stores that sell beer, and Moose Drool, can be purchased online for those in regions it is not available.  Check out there other beers as well like Trout Slayer, Slow Elk, and Bobo's.

If you are ever in Minneapolis, MN, make sure you make it into the Town Hall on the west side of Washington Ave.  Many Micro Brews made on site I would recommend, something for every everyone.  

I no longer drink, or at least anywhere near what I used to, but I can say I have had well over a thousand different brands/types of beers back in my time, and it surprises me how everyone will have a different flavor, even sometimes between batches.  There are others I would recommend as well, but finding even the ABV or better descriptions to explain them is hard to do online.  

Remember, always be responsible when drinking, and never drive under the influence.

Mistress Collisto|Molly Oakenheart|Lena Andersdotter|Heather Jones
Guild Leader of [JADE] www.Immortalizedin.enjin.com

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 11/16/2014 at 03:49 PM

Living in one of the highest if not the highest per capita for micro craft breweries in the US ( Vermont ), and being a restaurant owner that sells & drinks them, I know great beer.  I'd call SoR server a Chaotic Chemistry by Magic Hat http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/96/7740/ or possibly Double Bag http://longtrail.com/beers/double-bag. Both great and strong in limited batches, like us!! 

I myself enjoy darker beers than most others. I have a rule I try to follow that if I can read through the pint of beer, I usually don't want it ;) Browns I can enjoy, but gravitate towards the stouts and porters. Cheers!!

*Xeero Cool-Mez,Admiral Wiggin-Engi,Arya Sinfelle-Teef,Dirtyfilthyrotten-Necro,Ender Tha Xenocide-Rev
Filthydirtyrotten-Warrior

By:

AdaephonNA.8162
   Member of Super Mega Happy Fun Time

Replied On: 11/17/2014 at 04:10 AM

Aha! Beer! The one thing I do know about. Although honestly I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get the stuff I drink over your side of the pond but depending on tastes -

Wychwood Brewery Hobgoblin - 5.2% ABV, From the brewery "Traditionally craft brewed with Chocolate & Crystal malts and a blend of Styrian, Goldings & Fuggles hops to produce a full-bodied, Ruby beer that delivers a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavour, balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity, mischievous character."

Wychwood Brewery Dr. Thirsty's No. 4 Blonde - 4.1% ABV, From the brewery "Fresh off his cart is No.4. It’s an unpasteurised shimmering blonde concoction of fruits. Instant refreshment with an insanely fragrant aroma. No.4 is the first of the good DR’s elixirs to emerge from his apothecary. We expect more brews to follow from this enigmatic character."

Wells & Young Bombardier - 4.7% ABV, From the brewery "A burnished copper colour, it has a rich, tempting aroma of peppery hops and raisins, while the palate is dominated by more dark fruit, juicy malt and tangy hops."

Wells & Young Bombardier Burning Gold - 4.7% ABV Bombardier's lighter brother, from the brewery "A precious blend of the finest malts, hops and natural mineral water produces an instantly refreshing beer. Zesty aromas waken the senses, leading to a dry, crisp flavour with more than a hint of citrus on the palate and a smooth lasting finish."

Sharp's Doom Bar - 4% ABV, from the brewery “The aroma of Doom Bar combines an accomplished balance of spicy resinous hop, inviting sweet malt and delicate roasted notes. The mouth feel is a perfectly balanced and complex blend of succulent dried fruit, lightly roasted malty notes and a subtle yet assertive bitterness. The bitterness remains into the finish with dry fruity notes which implore the drinker to go back for more.”

There's a lot of smaller breweries that I'd love to recommend but honestly it's hard enough to find them in the UK sometimes so I imagine it'd be a royal pain in the rear end to find them over your way. If anyone's coming over to the UK anytime and want's to get an idea of some brews to try when they're here then feel free to ask anytime.

Gathras Stipeclaw | Tau Deuce | Gamma Deuce

Member of [MEGA]

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 11/17/2014 at 06:41 AM

We get Samuel Smith over here. It was always a favorite back when I could drink beer.

---
Karaoke (Loki | Oaky | Pokey | Smokey | Croaky | Cloaky | Soaky | Gnocchi)
Guild Leader - Super Mega Happy Fun Time [MEGA] - supermegahappyfuntime.com

By:

AdaephonNA.8162

Replied On: 11/17/2014 at 07:49 AM

I'm more than a little worried about you now Boss. Sam Smith's is not great beer. It's not bad and cheap but not great. :-P

You should ask MistressCollisto to get you some Old Speckled Hen. That's a nice beer :-P

@MistressCollisto ever tried Golden Hen? Cracking golden ale that one.

Gathras Stipeclaw | Tau Deuce | Gamma Deuce

Member of [MEGA]

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 11/17/2014 at 10:11 AM

Oh, I've had Old Speckled Hen. Not really my style. Crazy yeast in that one.

Anyway, my favorite beers were all Belgian. I definitely miss my Belgians. :-(

---
Karaoke (Loki | Oaky | Pokey | Smokey | Croaky | Cloaky | Soaky | Gnocchi)
Guild Leader - Super Mega Happy Fun Time [MEGA] - supermegahappyfuntime.com

By:

Commander Soren.9316
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 11/17/2014 at 11:08 AM

For those with a taste of adventure let me offer you an eclectic sampling of beer at it's finest.

Tongerlo Blond (Belgian Style Blonde) - Haachet Brewery - 6.5% ABV - "Spicy aroma, tarty bitterness, touch of creaminess and lemony. Good looking, dry and easy to drink!"

Malheur 12 (Belgian Style Dark) - Malheur Brewery - 12.00% ABV - "Beautiful vinous/spicey aroma. Good Body, well balanced and a subtle lingering finish"

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Doppelbock - Lager) - 9.5% ABV - "Bright amber brown color, tan head, sweet nose. Sweet flavors that are malty and hot. Decent balance with a cinnamon scent."

Samuel Adams Roggen Wolf (Rye and my fav) - 7%ABV - "Amber orangebrilliant color with a spicey/hoppy aroma. Toasty malt flavor (semi-dry). Medium body, firmly bittered, balance toward hops."

Eisenbahn Weizenbock (Wheat Beer) - Brazil - 8.00% ABV - "Deep brown coloring with mahogany highlights. Rich, almosy rum like, dark fruit flavor with a hint of chocolate and caramel, almost candy like. Rich flavoring, medium body, leans toward the dry."

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (Hefeweizen) - German - 5.40% ABV -  Yellow/orange coloring, carbonated. Sweet citrus taste followed by a hint of tartness.

And since I'm a Canadian I shall offer a few hidden gems:

Winter Ale (Belgian Dubbel) - Paddock Wood Brewing - 8.00% ABV, 26 IBU - "Malty palate with spicy notes, ends in with a sweet finish."

Traditional/Trad (English Brown) - Big Rock Brewery - 5.00% ABV - "This English style brown ale fills your mouth with a fusion of toasty malt and sweet caramel up front finishing with a nutty flavor, medium creamy carbonation and mild hop bitterness."       

Cloak & Dagger (Cascadian Dark Ale) - Granville Island Brewery - 6.25% ABV, 60 IBU - "Under the cover of malty darkness, mighty hops are poised to attack. Roasted black and chocolate malt flavors with a bold bitterness."

Island Lager - Granville Island Brewery - 5.00% ABV, 19 IBU - "Golden color with a distinct hoppy flavor. Clean and refreshing taste. A BBQers delight. Light and malty with hints of grassy hop aromas."

Lions Winter Ale - Granville Island Brewery - 5.5% ABV, 22 IBU - "Caramel malt aromas dominated bt cocoa and vanilla. Complex layers of vanilla, bready malts, toffee, cocoa bean and a slight nuttiness. Moderate hop bitterness that brings balance to the sweeter flavors."

I can get all these local so odds are pretty good you guys can too! And second on the recommendation of Sharp's Doom Bar, that's some good beer =p

» Edited on: 2014-11-17 14:00:59

---------------------------------------
LGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

By:

Commander Greyfeathers.8175
   Member of Perfectionists Cult

Replied On: 11/19/2014 at 07:58 AM

Indeed these are all good choices depending on one's taste but the best BEER is an open one.

By:

Commander xivor.8754
   Member of Chariot of Fire

Replied On: 11/19/2014 at 02:47 PM

I offer you a Bud Light, a Coors Light, and the regional favorite among military stationed at Fort Drum by the Canadian border, Labatt Blue Light!

Combat Medic Barbie | Mist Walker Barbie | Rigor Mortis Barbie

Guild Leader of Chariot of Fire [FIRE]

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved