Apr. 18, 2024
8:20 PM BST

A Public Apology...

By:

Commander MichaelESmith.6097
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Posted On: 10/01/2014 at 09:38 AM

Smitty (Sif) here...

I want to publicly apologize for how my event ended last night.  I was openly frustrated at how my event was progressing, and was already concerned about the morale of my fellow guildies as well as my own when our Garri and Bay were taken by GoM.  It was at this time that I had a major family issue happen, and needed to DC immediately to address it.  I understand that the timing was bad, that I had abandoned my post when my Guild and Server needed me, but I assure you, if it was possible I would have continued.

I am not a rage-quitter.  I know it is a game, and that objectives can flip at the toss of a hat.  I have been on both sides.

If my departure last night, or my increasing frustration insulted anyone, I sincerely apologize and hope that you would still follow me again in the future if you see my tag up.

With that, I will be on my way!  Long live Gaiscioch!  Long live Sanctum of Rall!

Your friendly neighborhood Smitty here!
Sif Ellisdottir - Gaiscioch [GSCH]
Maelgwyn Gryffud - Gaiscioch [GSCH]

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander xivor.8754
   Member of Chariot of Fire

Replied On: 10/01/2014 at 10:02 AM

I eventually got a call out for help after you left, as I was commanding in EB. I came over, got garri and bay back, lost Hills, then got Hills, and lost Bay. In the meantime, our entire EB corner got taken, losing a WP. 75 PPT from EB lost unfortunately. And when you left, I guess all GSCH left because there was almost no GSCH on home when I got there. DUI was farming us. Plain and simple. 

No hard feelings. Just wish callouts for assistance came earlier before we started losing Waypoints. We were on CCOMS, and not one callout for help came. Personal issues are important, but SOMEONE could have given a callout to other forces on the other maps from GSCH. Eventually, someone contacted me. 

Don't worry yourself about it. We all have our moments. I constantly have life interferences. This is a game. 

» Edited on: 2014-10-01 10:03:16

Combat Medic Barbie | Mist Walker Barbie | Rigor Mortis Barbie

Guild Leader of Chariot of Fire [FIRE]

By:

Commander timmyf.1490
   Member of Super Mega Happy Fun Time

Replied On: 10/01/2014 at 10:41 AM

This is, sadly, one of the major issues we'll experience by having an entire guild running communication separately in another voice program. 

---
Karaoke (Loki | Oaky | Pokey | Smokey | Croaky | Cloaky | Soaky | Gnocchi)
Guild Leader - Super Mega Happy Fun Time [MEGA] - supermegahappyfuntime.com

By:

Commander xivor.8754

Replied On: 10/01/2014 at 11:19 AM

Most GSCH commanders still use TS. Their followers do not. Still frustrating that the largest guild in promoting this server community is still excluding themselves from community voice coordination. 

By:

Xavier Eledhwen.6901
   Member of Every Victor's Immortality Lair

Replied On: 10/01/2014 at 12:59 PM

I am not a leader, I am GSCH, and I have both RC and TS Running. I talk on RC mainly cause that is where most of my Guildies are.

By:

Commander xivor.8754

Replied On: 10/01/2014 at 03:27 PM

Maybe I should clarify and say most of GSCH.  Whenever a GSCH commander runs and they have 15 GSCH on tag, but one on TS...or when Fog runs and he has 60 GSCH on tag, and 2 on TS, the perception is that GSCH MEMBERS are not supportive of the SoR COMMUNITY outside their guild. It could very well be a bad perception, but it is a widespread perception, nonetheless.

But, this thread is not about targetting GSCH for not coming on TS.  I apologize for steering it that way.  Seems to come up often, however.  That being said, Smitty, though I was the commander that responded in your absence, I hold no hard feelings whatsoever.  I just ask that maybe you and other fellow commanders utilize CCOMS just a little bit more to let us know when trouble is hitting our BL (or EB corner, if you are there).  We do not want to leave you out there hanging. But we do need to know when trouble is there! 

» Edited on: 2014-10-01 15:38:13

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 10/01/2014 at 03:32 PM

We very much appreciate the GSCH members who join us in Teamspeak. I get frustrated sometimes because I take my hits trying to tell EG and the other guys to keep it clean or use a mature language channel so that we can get everybody in TS... but then nobody shows up anyway. Made fun of by EG and ignored by GSCH. Awesome.

UNIFICATION is important. That means leaning on KOGS to use this website, leaning on GSCH to use the Teamspeak, etc. Moving forward requires more of us working together. 

Also, I feel a little bad for using this situation as an example. Smitty, your family ALWAYS should come before a game. Period. But the X people following you, if they were familiar with our TS, could have easily found another commander and let them know what was going on. "We were following Smitty, but he disconnected. Where are you? Can we join?"

I always encourage my guild members to run with other commanders to learn new tactics, meet new people, and participate in the wider community. I encourage my non-guild members to do the same!

---

By:

Commander Jeduthun.3920

Replied On: 10/02/2014 at 01:22 PM

I might go so far as to recommend that commanders who tag up (especially those running guild groups) identify their "second" on voice comms, through say/map chat, etc. If anything happens to the tagged commander (disconnect, AFK, lag, character death, or other unresponsiveness), the "second" can immediately take command and ensure the group remains unified.  If the "second" is publicly identified, then anyone in that player's group can inform the commander if they have dropped and a new "second" can be appointed.  The "second" isn't obligated to continue commanding past the designated time (ie. if you're running a 2 hour guild event, it can still end at that 2 hour mark) - only to take over in the place of a the commander in case of problems.

FIRE has used a similar "second" strategy in the past quite effectively.  On the odd chance that Xivor gets killed in battle (odds 1:1,000,000) or a family issue arises (odds 1:10), he has time to call out to someone to tag up for a few minutes with a simple "AFK, <player> tag up", and the entire group transitions to the new tag rapidly.  Identifying the "second" in advance ensures continuity when disruptions occur without sufficient time for the "AFK" callout.

Hindsight is 20/20; however, it is better to learn from the past and make adjustments than to allow it to constantly nip at our heels.

No apologies necessary, but thanks and kudos for taking the extra step to ensure that the situation didn't escalate into anything more severe. As Karaoke said: Family first!

By:

scott.7601

Replied On: 10/02/2014 at 06:04 PM

I think the greater thing here is that I hope you and your family are okay and any life problems have been resolved or are in the process.  This is just a game, family is more important! 

By:

Commander MichaelESmith.6097

Replied On: 10/03/2014 at 04:48 AM

Dude...  I felt I had to apologize to all for leaving abruptly due to a family emergency and the first reply I get is a chastising and a lesson in CComs to prevent losing our corner of EBG?

Thanks for making me feel even more like $h#@.

» Edited on: 2014-10-03 04:49:01

Your friendly neighborhood Smitty here!
Sif Ellisdottir - Gaiscioch [GSCH]
Maelgwyn Gryffud - Gaiscioch [GSCH]

By:

Commander xivor.8754

Replied On: 10/03/2014 at 08:54 AM

I apologize for steering the conversation in a negative tone. It was a hard night on the battlefield that night, and I brought my frustrations into this thread the next day,  which I shouldn't have done. Please forgive me. You did nothing wrong Smitty, and I hope you do not hold it against me much. 

I sincerely hope your family emergency is not indeed a serious emergency still, but in fact has fixed itself. If you would like to talk further, please let me know and I can talk on TS or in game. I was out of line, and I apologize. 

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 10/03/2014 at 10:31 AM

I think there's a difference between assigning blame (which we should not be doing here) and using this as an opportunity to learn and improve. If Smitty - or any other commander - needs to leave or gets disconnected, we should have some sort of process for ensuring the group continues to run. I've seen this with other commanders as well; commander tags down, the 10-15 people following the commander scatter.

It's not a Smitty-problem, it's an SoR-problem. I hope my comments didn't hurt your feelings, Smitty. I really have enjoyed running with you when given the opportunity, appreciate your humor, and very much appreciate the effort you put in to run in both RC and TS simultaneously.

---

By:

Commander burialsoup.5612

Replied On: 10/03/2014 at 03:32 PM

No need to apologize smitty.

this is a GAME,it is played for fun and should be treated so.

I understand competetive nature,but real life  comes first.

on that note,Smitty hope all is well and things are better.

» Edited on: 2014-10-03 15:33:55

By:

SlickCaustic.1782
   Member of Calamitous Annihilation

Replied On: 10/04/2014 at 08:48 AM

I agree with Timmy. Being a good leader is about prioritizing and of course family is first as others have said! No apologies! I sincerely hope you and your family are well and that you don't feel like S#$%.

When one of us steps down there should always be someone else to step up. It's up to the rest of us. 

» Edited on: 2014-10-04 08:49:35

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved