The Thankless and Awesome jobs others do ( discussion requested )
Moscow
Mar. 28, 2024
3:43 PM MSK
Sydney
Mar. 28, 2024
11:43 PM AEDT
Hobbiton
Mar. 29, 2024
1:43 AM NZDT
Seattle
Mar. 28, 2024
5:43 AM PDT
Chicago
Mar. 28, 2024
7:43 AM CDT
New York
Mar. 28, 2024
8:43 AM EDT
London
Mar. 28, 2024
12:43 PM GMT

The Thankless and Awesome jobs others do ( discussion requested )

By:

Commander Greyfeathers.8175
   Member of Perfectionists Cult

Posted On: 09/18/2015 at 10:09 PM

There have been several times out in W vs W that I've seen some awesome plays and others that continually seem to stay right in there and plug away at tasks others want to ignore because it doesn't generate experience, bags or any rewards. This would probably be a job for someone like FOG but I'd like to suggest a reward / medal that could be awarded to other players. There are several medals that SOR members earn after a set amount of time but what I'm suggesting is something a commander could award or even several members of the server.

For Starters - Let's call this " Medal of Merit "

As an example I'm going to use Abegeto. I'm sure several commanders will back me up on this but this player has hidden himself several times when things have gone bad and been able to use his Mesmer to port us all back inside the keep or tower we just lost. I have quite honestly seen this at least two or three dozen times myself. You'll see him pop up in map chat and ask if anyone wants a port into Garri or NE tower or where ever he has hidden. How many of you commanders have seen Abegeto save the day ?

I used the above as an example and honestly think that this member of SOR does deserve some recognition for his endless support in W vs W and help he has always lended to the commanders of SOR. What I would like to see is a commander who notices something like this repeated time and time again to write it up and lets folks know. I also feel the medal should be something that a SOR commander could nominate someone for and also have a few requirements. There are also people who work behind the scene very hard who would also deserve credit for their efforts as well.

One - The Commander and SOR member should be active members on the SOR site and belong to an active guild. This way I would hope to see maybe a little more interaction with the commanders, SOR members and the various guilds. We honestly have some really great players, commanders, and people that do work hard for this aspect of the game and this server.

What does everyone think ?

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander Jeff.5139

Replied On: 09/19/2015 at 01:57 AM

Do you have something like a monthly or weekly award in mind?

By:

Replied On: 09/19/2015 at 09:58 AM

Actually it could be either or both but my initial thoughts was something that could be awarded at anytime and something which would have to be earned and recognized and not done by random drawing.

By:

Commander Mistress Collisto.1546

Replied On: 09/19/2015 at 04:58 PM

"Actually it could be either or both but my initial thoughts was something that could be awarded at anytime and something which would have to be earned and recognized and not done by random drawing."

I would then ask how that is different from the active commander just saying thanks or at that time giving the scout something?  I think what is being asked for here is a community pool of prizes and recognition which would require a lot of work by someone?  Also, for someone that does a great job scouting for 2 hours could then end up being rewarded the same as someone that scouting for 12 hours.  I guess I am just against the entitlement mentality.  We are all part of the same server and we need to get it across to everyone that we need scouts in order for us to do well, if someone wants to do something for the community that is more important then being part of the zerg, they have the option to scout an un-scouted keep.  As Jeff responded in the other thread related to scouting, make sure scouts have the option every 15-30 minutes or swapping out with a new scout.

There is one thing that I think could be rewarded but its simply a once and done thing,  you can contact me in game or in TS whenever I am online and ask me to give anyone that has scouted for you multiple times the "scout" symbol in TS.  I can help you out in that way, but other prizes I am not sure would be viable.

Mistress Collisto|Molly Oakenheart|Lena Andersdotter|Heather Jones
Guild Leader of [JADE] www.Immortalizedin.enjin.com

By:

Commander abegeto.5340

Replied On: 09/19/2015 at 07:58 PM

Thank you for the kind words Grey Feathers. I greatly respect and appreciate your opinion and I am honored that you think so well of me. Awhile back, we were standing in Bay after we had flipped it and you said “We shall award you the legion of tricks and sneaky combat medal.” I appreciate the compliments.

I am part of a team and I am happy to do my part. We all contribute in different ways. I happen to be good at sneakiness so I use that to help others, but I want to say thank you to:

• The commanders who lead and put up with us
  • The scouts who spend hours at a thankless job for all of our benefit
  • The unskilled enemies…. Thanks for the loot

I think the idea of a medal is interesting. I think that it would nice if anyone could nominate someone for the medal because I can think of a few commanders that I think deserve one.

By:

Replied On: 09/20/2015 at 05:30 AM

What I was thinking Collisto was more like the medals we receive as a commander or participating in " x " number of battles and not an actual prize itself. Just something for the recognition and as far as in in-game reward I would say let the commander take care of his or her troops and award them as they see fit. This award would just be something that would appear on the persons profile here on the site. I do like the idea of an icon for Team speak as well.

I completely agree about anyone nominating someone for these awards too Abe. I know of a few folks I could throw in there as well who hold events and lead for the community even in the worst of times without fail.

By:

Commander synosius.9876
   Member of Seriously Over Rated

Replied On: 09/21/2015 at 04:07 PM

I would suggest TS icons because it sounds like less work, highly visible and make ppl jelly.

Also Abe you gonna luv HoT, so many place to hide.  Inc mesmer wars 2!

By:

Replied On: 09/21/2015 at 09:10 PM

Well what would we be looking at as far as TS icons ? That's also an award that perhaps some members wouldn't get anyway since they don't use TS but are an active community member. There will always be a TS issue with some of the " higher strung " users for lack of a better term that puts off some gamers from even wanting to sit in a channel and listen to what's being said. I'm not against the idea of icons there but would like to see something everyone could earn so long as they supported the site and server.

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 05:28 AM

I award you the medal of stupendousness, plz join ts to receive your award.

You have to also be in ts to show off your medals too.  Its win-win!

By:

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 09:44 AM

Well if you're referring to me I would prefer this " The Charr Legion Award of Merit for Worst Puns and Bad Jokes " and a side bar saying " The Mad King ain't got nothing on this ! " You think that's too long of a name ?

Let's see.. if I click on a person's name here on the site - Synosius.9876 has three medals and looking over everything I see they've been here since 2014 and appear to be a good commander. If I were a W vs W player I might just check out those two guilds GSCH and SOR and see what they're about. He also has some good comments about his commanding. Now once you've captured a players attention you can pull them into your group, get them involved in TS and this is a win win situation. If I was a W vs W player looking for a guild that is focused on that you bet I'd be looking at who SOR has as active commanders, what's being said about them and how they re-act and interact with other players.

I'm still leaning toward an award on a players profile, everyone can make use of that. TS icons are okay but like I mentioned not everyone would get use out of those. There are those who have poor internet connections, or other real life reasons they don't use it. They take an active part on the server though and shouldn't be left out. At least that's my opinion. 

» Edited on: 2015-09-22 09:45:01

This Post By synosius.9876 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 10:35 AM

I like your examples.  SoR was the guild I inherited and lead for several months before killing off and letting Omen absorb ex members.  That guild listing is the default that comes with claiming event cedit.  So no, new players should not look that guild.

As for GSCH Ive been tagging up for them attempting to integrate them into the server communty.  They tend to be reclusive and beyond casual.  If your like, rly old and want your hand held through zerg events its a good and family focused guild.  If you have ambitions and want to excell in game look else where.

WvW is a team game.  You could be the greatest solo baseball player able to beat full teams by yourself but it doesnt matter.  The rules say 9 players or they dont let you on the field, this is how baseball is played.

I was thinking about a comment fog made at the meeting... We used to do our big raids all in map chat.  My first experiences with a mmo was 10yrs ago in WoW, so new that jumping off high places gave me vertigo and I was embarrassed by ppl dancing naked on the mail box.  Early on I joined a raiding guild.  They used ventrilo to coordinate the guild.  To me voice comms has always seperated the srs players from the scrubs. 

We have raid content coming soon, if you think guilds will put up with... I dont use ts Im an individual!  delusions, youre more likely to get a gkick rather than a discussion.  For that matter, try bringing an uplvl to a dungeon run and see if you how fast you get kicked.

We put with this in wvw cause we have to, theres no recourse.  Not getting in ts, bringing an uplvl and expecting a carry is pure disrespect and displays utter contempt for your server mates working their kittens off for you.

Sure you say theres ppl who cant get on ts for technical reasons but if it wasnt like everyone and their mom making up excuses I might care.  Just man up and say you dont like us and dont wanna chat with dbags or find a way to fix your problems.

Promoting non ts is like promoting 8 track tape, useless hipster nostalgia.

Also my internet is down from fire, im bored and rambling

This Post By Foghladha.2506 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506
   Site Admin of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 11:31 AM

Nice Synosius, Don't do us any favors if thats your attitude towards us. If we're making you miserable you shouldn't be with us to begin with. I appreciate what you've done taking over friday reset but the attitude you portraid right here in your message

As for GSCH Ive been tagging up for them attempting to integrate them into the server communty.  They tend to be reclusive and beyond casual.  If your like, rly old and want your hand held through zerg events its a good and family focused guild.  If you have ambitions and want to excell in game look else where.

Is exactly the type of thing we Don't need. Not in GSCH not in SOR. We don't need players belittling one another. You wonder why GSCH is so Reclusive? You made the very reason VERY apparent. How much do you look forward to hanging out with people who belittle you, or discount you because your older, or less skilled? You wouldn't. You would not take time out of your day to hang out with someone like that. GSCH chooses not to associate themselves with people who treat others like kitten, talk down to one another, or are outright rude to one another.

We have many friends on this server who we hold close, OMEN being one of them, EVIL being another. 

Bottom line is you don't need to be a jackwaggon to be good at a game. There's nothing in the rulebook that says you've gotta treat others like kitten to succeed. 

If you feel that strongly about Gaiscioch being nothing more that retirees and scrubs the do us all a favor and bow out. We don't need that kind of attitude and it's not going to win anyone any battles, just further divide an already struggling server community. 

GAISCIOCH is a NURTURING community, We look out for people, we give people free stuff, we are a SUPPORT role. We help make this server community special. We are in no way the best of the best, the leader, or any kind of self proclaimed god of this server. We are here to HELP. Not pull the full weight. We do what we can when we can. 

Everyone here has to be ok with that, otherwise this is always going to be a wedge. I'm sorry you wish we were something else Eko but this is who we are, who we have always been, and who we will always be. And we aren't going anywhere. We're here as long as Sanctum of Rall is here so get comfortable with it. Stop trying to make us a hammer when we are a screwdriver. Different role, different specialty. Screw a screw with a hammer and you wont get much support from that screw, Hammer a nail with a screwdriver and you're likely to be whacking at it quite a while. We each have our place in this world, and each have a role to fill.  

This elitist kitten needs to stop. You've got skilled and unskilled people on this server and both can be an effective weapon if you just for 2 seconds see the Sword and the Shield. The PuG is the Shield, the Skilled Unit is the Sword. While the shield distracts the sword strikes. It's a very effective combination and if you would just take a step back and see that you can use the PuG as a weapon that gets the job done without trying to force change on them you'll have sooooooo much more success. You just have to realize there is a place in this world for everyone. Skilled or Unskilled.

Gaiscioch has bled SOR from the day we came here. Yet we have always been the "Problem" whenever someone doesn't see eye to eye. It's true guys, Gaiscioch Rolls with grandparents, great grandparents, and even kids. We are a FAMILY based community and we get the young and wise to go out and have fun together. Stop trying to make us something we're not. Stop blaming GSCH for everything that is wrong with this server. We've done nothing but do our best to take care of all of you, even when some of you have given us nothing but grief and disrespect. I can't tell you the number of times i've sent prizes to people for the raffle who have treated me like garbage non-stop. I do it because I care about this server and the people on it. Even when someone despises us we still look out for them. 

</End Soap Box>

That said I'm working on a system for scouts and will try to have it done soon. It will allow commanders to give tokens and comments for excellence in scouting. This hopefully will also allow me to give a scouting raffle as well. Hope to have it complete in the next week or so but I'm backlogged on work stuff atm.

Benjamin Foghladha
Community Manager, SanctumofRall.com
Founder and Activities Director, The Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 12:12 PM

should I even bring up kong?

so maybe you do have some idea of the pure loathing most ppl on this server have for gsch.  nothing I said about your guild was inaccurate, then you go on to describe how how accurate it was in fact.  its even the selling point how you advertise the guild.

wvw is a competitive game mode, we dont care about prizes, we want allies we are proud to take the field with and fight along side.  do you know why smitty and vanka are respected by the other commanders?  its cause they talk to us, it feels like they are one of us despite tagging up for gsch.  no one else in the guild has this connection.

I did not say ts separates good from bad, those who join TS are showing they are at least some what serious about being part of the team and working to improve. when ppl join gsch it feels like... dmn it, we've lost another player!  they disappeared into a black hole nvr to be seen again.  that is the rift I was trying to bridge, this sense of gsch vs sor.

thx for the gkick and lifting the burden. 

» Edited on: 2015-09-22 12:15:19

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 12:51 PM

As for GSCH in Teamspeak, We are in Teamspeak every time we WvW. I have not lead an event outside of TS in over a year. Gaiscioch does not even have a WvW channel in Gamevox. We send everyone to TS for WvW. All of our commanders lead their events in TS. 

Furthermore:

"I did not say ts separates good from bad"

Really?

"voice comms has always seperated the srs players from the scrubs."

Fact is if you treat people like crap, they're not going to want to play your way. 

» Edited on: 2015-09-22 12:57:13

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 02:32 PM

A scrub is a player that does not care about being competive.  You derailed the thread by picking an off hand comment and making it about gsch.

» Edited on: 2015-09-22 14:33:47

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 02:53 PM

I pretty sure this thread got derailed at:

That might have had a little something to do with it. Totally uncalled for and doesn't belong in this thread to begin with.

Benjamin Foghladha

This Post By omega.3760 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

Commander omega.3760

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 03:04 PM

Where is the kitten love for mother kitten PAIN. Gsch is casual in wvw. It's a known fact to all of the regulars who are carrying the server(not referring exclusively to PAIN before someone has a kitten aneurysm). I think in the past 6 months since returning to SoR I have met and talked to mayyyybe 5 gsch members, well 4 now that Eko has broken free from the oppressive chains. Kitten kitten kitten kitten. 

Mucho love,

Kitten Omega Kitten.

Eko I love  you bro, keep doing what you're doing, srs, no kitten.

kitten.

ps. Kitten.

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 04:17 PM

I kinda feel like that moment when... you and a friend are chatting "you gotta hear this song its dope". then dad bursts into the room screaming "YOURE ON DRUGS!"  You and your friend start laughing, dad gets mad and grounds.

so lets recap

feathers: lets make a medal system

syno: lets do it on ts

feathers: lets do it through the website, according to the info here you are a popular tag for sor and gsch

syno: nah thats bad info, gsch is for icky old ppl (who prolly smell funny too).  I tag for them cause other wise they go to bed at 6:30pm.

(what fog should have said)

fog: no one under the age of 45 is allowed to join the guild unless accompanied by an adult.

By:

Commander abegeto.5340

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 06:08 PM

I feel like this thread started on a very positive and uplifting note and kind of went down hill. I appreciate the original thoughts by Grey Feathers about finding a way to acknowledge and show appreciation for those that do thankless jobs such as scouting.

SoR on SoR anger.... we should remember the point of this thread... to give me compliments.

I kid, I kid... just trying to lighten the mood.

By:

Replied On: 09/22/2015 at 11:23 PM

I'm not even going to comment on the ranting and drama I've read here because it does nothing for this server or it's members. I started a thread to see about getting recognition for others that may never see it. I'm disappointed though that anyone would call others that call SOR home a scrub. This isn't what this server is about and W vs W isn't the only thing we do here.

By:

Commander Soren.9316
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 12:23 AM

That said I'm working on a system for scouts and will try to have it done soon. It will allow commanders to give tokens and comments for excellence in scouting. This hopefully will also allow me to give a scouting raffle as well. Hope to have it complete in the next week or so but I'm backlogged on work stuff atm.

Just incase people missed it. Feathers I think you have touched on an awesome subject and I like the idea of someway of recognizing all the people that go above and beyond but never get credit ie: scouts. the system Fog is proposing will fit nicely along side the Commander on Deck system and would be a great way to recognize the hard and oft boring work out scouts do.

» Edited on: 2015-09-23 00:23:31

---------------------------------------
LGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 05:27 AM

Good thing this is a public thread, it might save a few ppl from accidently joining the server.

For the record, 99% of all playes are scrubs much like most ppl are not professional athletes.  Thats why its funny.  

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 09:38 AM

If people decided against a server because of 1 unruly person, They would never find a home. The vast majority of Sanctum of Rall is kind and looks out for one another. If they spend any time on this site they will see that. Just as the ones who have come before has seen that.

Now please, lets get this thread back on topic.

» Edited on: 2015-09-23 09:39:40

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Commander abegeto.5340

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 01:31 PM

First, I would like to say that I think it is a good idea to offer a way of acknowledging those that contribute to the community. It is a good idea that could help foster a sense of belonging to a community and helping to motivate people to try new things and to try and find different ways of contributing. With that said, I do have a concern about it. How would it be implemented? Who would decide if a person is worthy of a Medal? If a person or small group is in charge of the decision then that person or group could be accused of playing favorites and if it is left up to a vote from the masses then large guilds would just give every medal to every member. If the idea can be implemented fairly though, it is a great idea.

As for the scrubs discussion, my interpretation:

• Elite – The best of the best – hardcore
  • Good – They really know their profession but might not run in a dedicated raid group
  • Average – most people
  • Noob – someone that is new and isn’t that good, but they are learning
  • Scrub – bad player

It isn’t just scrubs and elites. A scrub is normally taken as an insult. If there was some misunderstanding about scrub vs average between other posters, then I hope it is something that can be let go. If it was an insult directed at a guild then I understand why a guild would want to defend itself. There is a place for the hardcore group, but there is also a place for the casual friendly group. It is after all a game that is meant to relax us.

We could all stand to be a little better at what we do. There is always room for improvement. I would like to see training and helping of new folks and I think that many guilds including GSCH do work to make people feel welcome. There may be some disagreement over what kind of players they attract but more numbers is a good thing. I am happy if a guild brings players to WvW and if those players are scrubs or noobs, then we can train them. I would love to see more training of/and encouragement to new people. I have seen people call out in map chat “Hey, it’s my first time in WvW. What should I be doing?” and they don’t get an answer. I have shown the ropes to several new people but I know of people that log into WvW once and never again because of the reception they get. I think it would be great if a casual guild that welcomes new people would offer WvW training nights to new people to make them feel welcome. And to tie this into the original point of the thread, those people that take the time to patiently train new comers are the perfect people to get Medals for creating a sense of community.

This Post By aryvandar.8562 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

aryvandar.8562

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 01:53 PM

Sorry but comments made in this thread are very laughable. I will say this im 39 and don't need no adults hand holding me to join any guild.

By:

Commander abegeto.5340

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 02:06 PM

I agree that it isn't necessary to join a guild to play in WvW. The only guild that I belong too is a small (very small) family guild. It is just a few people. Since complaints were made about people with low skill, I suggested training to make new people enjoy WvW more. It would help the community if we had more skilled players, but I don't think it is necessary to be a part of a guild to get that training. Guild talk is also not the original intent of the creator of the thread. Grey Feathers was trying to be nice by suggesting a system to reward people for their contributions. I still think that was a nice thought.

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 02:25 PM

So the way i'm building this thing is leveraging the Commander on Deck commenting engine so that Commanders can give feedback on scouts and give them a Token of Gratitude to signify that they provided a crucial role in the event. As players get marked down as scouting they will unlock various scouting badges.  Additionally commanders will select which scouts helped them that night and can leave comments on these scouts. (I may make it so when people claim participation they can mark themselves as a scout and the commander can verify it to help automate the process.)

In addition, we'll be having a weekly scout raffle to help reward the people who scout. Awards are not going to be left up to 1 person, it will be up to all of us commanders to mark down when scouts helped us and give them tokens for their hard work showing our gratitude. It's going to take me some time to build it but i've got a lot of the foundation in place. I'll be using my lunch breaks to code this guy.

Benjamin Foghladha

This Post By Pyr O Desolation.5017 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

Pyr O Desolation.5017

Replied On: 09/23/2015 at 09:40 PM

» Edited on: 2015-09-24 08:49:19

Not My Monkey, Not My Circus.

By:

Commander GmaFoghladha.1853

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 06:41 AM

I am a new commander mainly PVE to help players map clear and learn to fight.  I am wanting to learn more before getting fully involved in WvW.  I know how to take camps with help, but I feel my WvW 101 event is lacking.  I've been teaching my group how to take a camp, get bloodlust, how to scout and where not to jump. We also collect all the shinys and I explain when they are in a zerg - how its not the place to farm.  I don't want to feel like the "blind leading the blind". I do need help to learn...  How do I get those lessons without being put down? I am tired of noob comments.  I do want to thank Omen and GSCH for teaching me many things along the way. I am so willing to learn... 

» Edited on: 2015-09-24 07:03:36

Esther Foghladha

By:

Commander iTater.4209
   Member of Pink Quaggan Squad

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 10:33 AM

How do I get those lessons

Well! What a fun and interesting thread this is. It depends on what you want to learn - do you want to learn each class and what their role is in WvW? Do you want to learn how to lead a group fight in WvW the way that PAIN does? Do you want to learn how to slice and dice larger groups like my squirrel squad does late at night? Do you want to learn how to place siege like Eko does?

It all depends on how you want to learn, but branching out and connecting with everyone on the server is probably where you're going to learn to be the best WvW player that you can be. Granted, these lower tiers don't practice the best techniques nor do we have a wide array of knowledge to pick from. I followed Hella from GSCH for the first time in a very, very long time and I watched and I learned and I made a few comments on how he and the group could improve. Following groups such as PAIN and OMEN are, while we may be a bit vulgar at times, probably the best opportunity to learn what you should be calling for in a fight as a commander or what you as an elementalist, or a guardian, or a necro.

Pay attention to what builds are on metabattle.com, or look up "gw2 builds" on Youtube or Google. There are very few players who can do it all, but until you get to that point pay attention to what people are doing and what their builds are focused on. Ask those players that you know are good at their class what they run and why. I play my engi most of the time and am always happy to share what my build is and will PvP with someone to help them learn how to fight against me.

The main point of this is to branch out and talk to more people - there are always those who know more about certain aspects of the game, so don't be afraid to ask them. They will be your greatest resource in this community-driven game.

Tiffany.6841 - excellent commander and pro eSports necro

Sean.8921 - pro eSports engi, overall great guy

AuroraMariette.5720 - great elementalist and commander

Synosius.9876 - ask about siege placement

Cythrawl.6071 - ask about scouting and building upgrades

Warmaster Gibbon.4765 - ask about tips for GvGs and class comp

SIGfigures.1784 - ask about small group tactics, usually runs a three-man group

omega.3760 - ask about guardian builds and comp for large scale fights

Serial Experiments.5407 - ask about pro mesmer tactics

Soless.7830 - ask about necromancer builds

I would also suggest joining in Teamspeak when you see a commander tagged, you can ask questions freely and will usually get some discussion if it's not something obvious (i.e., what map are we on when we tell the same person five times).

» Edited on: 2015-09-24 10:56:56

Professor Bannister, engineer

By:

Serial Experiments.5407

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 11:00 AM

Hello! I'm Serial Experiments (Serial Experiments.5407).

I was mentioned above as having pro mesmer tactics. I wouldn't go that far!

Anyways, I thought I'd add some content to the above post by iTater. I've been uploading some of [PAIN]'s more impressive WvW events on a Youtube channel. You can see it here: http://serialexperiments.info

In these videos you can hear the commanders do their thing. This might help you in becoming a more effective commander. If you're a mesmer and you're curious as to your role when running with a large group, you can see how I play in these videos. I hope this is helpful.

Good luck, and I look forward to playing with you.

By:

Harakael.5830

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 11:10 AM

Ahiyo ther!!!!

I see a lot of silly goose talky talky here :( makes Greenie so sad!!!

Anyways ill try to give feedback :D

I kinda loved getting prizes for events thru SOR website, i dont do anymore as i dont use event codes my fault :P, it was first ever recognition i ever got, server wise :D

Make me felt so good!!! i was so nub at server community, i had been heartbroken before on other games but here it is like a different world, GSCH is so nice, so OP when running together as they have great teamplay  :D As so have many others CC and guilds doing a lot of good job over the BLs,

Nonetheless i dont log into TS much, it kinda gets me dizzy when so much ppl talk, that and raging CCs they always come and go :P

And its not i dont like voice comms, i run with guild coms and translate on RC to latins new to the server, its just with some commanders you can understand with no voice. 

Its not the optimal indeed, as yesterday i couldnt alert of a zerg of enemy incoming south and im sure we wouldnt got wiped if could have said on TS "incomin south" instead of running with R and opening map chat black lion trade market etc.

Does that make me a scrub? LOL cus i dont use voice... no, it also makes me not being "serious" about it, cus its a game if i wanted to be EpicMagicGreenstoneKillerOfGlory, probably id be training all day like craazy testing builds and end being useless in teamplay cus i know more of the rest and they should listen to me, sorry that kinda extreme comparison :P is like what we get a lot in games tho.

Anyways voice is important , you can team chat the essential, learn gameplay by watching, teamplay by knowing clases in your party and running, i PUG all days when im not defending with VIG at nights. And guess what? Its awesome!! Just to ask your pug what build they running telling em yours and shift+clik mouse you get easy havok teams!!

And this is what its best of the server, the soloers, puggers coming together, i know a lot of ppl on random guilds that are PVX or PVE not even sor based, but that i can see daily in the battlefield, playing on thery own, camp pimpin, portecting supply and even if the y wer not the most receptive at the start we know are war buddies and friends :D how can i know by seeing sum1 name what skill they use, build, supports, dps, i find it wonderful :D its so fun

Want to know how i met them!!! by being a nub scout!!! running supplies, pimpim towers, killing enemy supplies, the real guerrilla :D thats why u will always see me when soloing LFM on team chat for havok group :P

Voicechat ppl will be there and can go to TS, reaching to ppl who wont use TS is a hard thing but not impossible :P forcing em to use TS is nice! yes but kinda bad results come from forcing, so you gotta go their way :D eventually after they trust you they try voice.

Scout commending sounds great!! I once got money i rmmbr i felt kinda used, unhigienic motivation always better than higienic(Google herzberg if confused) 

I think things escalated quickly in this post and as amazing it may sound i didint think any1 tried to be offensive, maybe silly, but i dont know most of you guys enough to interpret your feeling thru only typed text, id be millonaire if id know how, theres something called "cognitive syntagma" that makes us FEEL intangible moments, as are posts in forums, and what we FEEL has nothing to do with the written but with how we FELT at the moment of reading, tis used a lot in Branding, here me going into mktng and psychology as always :P

Anyways( for the 5th time already) Dont fight between us, i know we kinda get frustrated sometimes, get jelly, do bad jokes, or have null cultural relativism to each other, nonetheless lets save that for the battlefield :D

I am in SOR for what SOR represents, for me its a legacy in honored to know, i dont fight for gold, killing, glory, being the best i play for the bonds we form with the ppl we run along with <3

Love you all!!

P.S: Im not a scrub!!! im Greenie!! Grunt wtvr... must go eat now <3

Also i have more than once been Chat Commanding tis fun and hard, but had quite succesfull defenses and offenses including SMC and keeps!

-Greenstone "Big Green Guy" / Richard Ryder "The Crimson Nutcase" / Viridis Caedo " Green Death" / Walla Quilcai Tuta "Necro Inka"
[VIG][HnB][Ren]

"Wars Come And Go, But My Soldiers Stay Eternal"

"In Hood We Trust"

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 11:56 AM

SoR has developed ina rather unique way. we are server driven, we focus on the individual rather than guild identity.  this is hard for many outsiders to understand.  you can either join us or thumb your nose at us.

mmo's are a core element to internet culture, (which is extremely vulgar) as itater said the best way to learn is immerse yourself.  you have to learn the language before you can communicate.  you dont go to a Mexican restaurant and tell them theyre making burritos wrong do you?  Everything sounds harsh and derogatory.  You call your friend a noob and he laughs, you say that to someone else they explode with rage.  You think, wow this person is not my friend, hes an outsider, he does not fit in here.

theres actually 3 definitions of newb afaik

newb- the original connotation, short for newbie, as in new player.

noob- the evolved spelling, usually meaning a newb that has had time to learn but hasnt and somehow remaining ignorant.

nub- another evolution of spelling that denotes self reflection and acceptance of mistakes, I should know better but I screwed up anyway.

scrub- was defined by Sir Lin, a Street Fighter 2 tourny player.  It be could be said I am a scrub for playing engi just because I liked it despite the many short comings of the class in wvw. 

for many ppl mmo's are more than just a game, they are the venue through which we form social bonds.  when offered 'the secret handshake' and you do it wrong, it alerts the clan to the presence of an intruder.  if you want to be accepted you learn the customs and mannerisms of the culture.  maybe you speak with a heavy accent but the ppl will luv your for trying.

Maybe you nvr looked at our game this way or maybe you just think Im crazy now.  ^_^

that being said...

Only wvw players transfer servers, the gw2 communities barely exist outside of this game mode.  if you want more ppl to join wvw, transfers to the server or become more active you have to establish high standards.  you dont move to trashy neighborhoods do you?  ppl want to know what is expected of them and what to expect.  they want to be equal. 

theres no reason to not like this medal system but it doesnt show the rest of the game this is a place you can enjoy wvw.  TS is the fastest way to build a community and the most efficient method of disseminating information.  the travel of information is the core of all human knowledge and wisdom. 

Im sure the ultimate question ppl ask before transferring... if I move to this server will I end up with a bunch of bad players?  what conclusion do you think they will make when considering sor?

This Post By abegeto.5340 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

Commander abegeto.5340

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 12:24 PM

Hello Eko,
There is some level of interpretation when it comes to slang words and I understand how quickly something can be taken out of context or someone can become offended. I appreciate your post and clarification. When I was giving a basic definition of how some people might interpret the word scrub it was in an attempt to bring fluttery purple butterflies of peace to the thread.

» Edited on: 2015-09-24 13:31:56

This Post By Harakael.5830 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

Harakael.5830

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 01:14 PM

Everyone is someones else nub :D thats the law of life aight unless you are world champion or something xD

"when offered 'the secret handshake' and you do it wrong, it alerts the clan to the presence of an intruder.  if you want to be accepted you learn the customs and mannerisms of the culture. " 

That is baddong!!! bad and wrong (bill & ted bogus journey 4eva!) 

id rather be accepted for who i am than changing for a group, i just need the sufficient social/cultural relativism...

If we have a guild that is family orientated im not going on team chat saying insults, cursing, i understand those parents may not like for them kids...

Democracy right? the ideal so badly fulfilled by governments in the world,

So the bigger group wants nice language... so ima be a rebel and go talking bad thingies?

No! because i can tolerate, understand, its like when i run with PUGS, wich is very funny as most united states friends really freak out at this simple questions: Were u from and whats your age? of course in a more nice approach, but we dont know if that person is underage so they are topics we shouldnt approach to bias them from perception on life, let em make em own choices!! Power of reference is high at MMOs as we run avatars!!

Ppl think different and to live in a community we learn to coexist, not becoming the ideal role that society needs/wants/ppl think they need, etc... because thats not being yourself, it will frustrate you, tire you down, not being yourself, just be yourself but remember the others and how they might feel out of the context,

On my contry, old religion used to have a cosmicvision of the world and how we "humanity" affected it, we thought of the community before ourselves and we thought how every1 of us will feel if 1 was to say something, how would they look, a 360 degree view, even as i currently practice this religion, yes im a pagan politeist raised as a catholic,  it is hard as our day to day society focuses on individuals exceling other individuals on the rue for succes MEOW!

Ok this is enuff, we should just think more before posting, some ppl like monty python some hate it, that doesnt mean one is wrong and the other is not!

Now  we all make peaces, apology and be nice or next post is a seminude photo of me with my teddy bear to lighten the mood!!!!

Just for the records, Abegeto, YOU ROCK MAN!!! !!!!! Keep up the good work :D I always ninjain and c you round rollin :P

P.S: Im serious about the teddy bear pic XD

-Greenstone "Big Green Guy" / Richard Ryder "The Crimson Nutcase" / Viridis Caedo " Green Death" / Walla Quilcai Tuta "Necro Inka"
[VIG][HnB][Ren]

"In Hood We Trust"

By:

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 01:25 PM

" Only wvw players transfer servers, the gw2 communities barely exist outside of this game mode "

You really believe that GW 2 communities exist only in W vs W ? Short sited and extremely wrong.

"TS is the fastest way to build a community and the most efficient method of disseminating information."

I agree completely but if I have to listen to constant swearing and something which sounds like vulgar teenagers running amok that might just be that bad neighborhood. New player jumps into community coms and hears " who hit the sentry, !@#$% I hate these jerks not on TS, that's it I'm done, these people suck" so in your own words Synosious.......

what conclusion do you think they will make when considering sor?

I've actually heard worse and have lost respect for several players not because of the language but the attitude which is behind it and that is something which is great about Team Speak. Typing things can get misunderstood but when someone comes right out and calls you a FKING IDIOT well now wouldn't you agree we have a problem there ? Or this part of the " culture " which we should accept ?

This entire thread got derailed after my initial post and quite honestly it's sad to see that some of the guild leaders, officers, and commanders of certain guilds feel like the only thing in GW2 is W vs W and they do so in a manner which they seem to fail to see that many are not going to enjoy and they create an atmosphere in which they're preventing their own growth of regular W vs W players. If people feel that strongly about casual W vs W players and only W vs W players transfer servers perhaps it is that group which needs to consider moving else where. The lack and inability to tolerate PUGS is perhaps something some of those leaders failed to recognize as part of MMO's or do other MMO's not have PUGS ?

I have been grateful to the guilds who are fighting everyday and do the majority of the work for the server and if you feel unrecognized or unwanted here then why do you stay ? What I am tired of though is seeing these guilds ruin and post things here that seem like tantrums on this site. I'd love to see those who run and maintain this site remove it from community access and use it for those that can actually work together. Any moderation I'd have done myself would have seen many SOR members banned from here and what the heck it seems that this community only needs Team Speak any way. Can you run a community with just that ? Yes.. I bet you can so long as everyone is on-line at the same time or you enjoy repeating yourself to those in different time zones. I would not blame FOG or GSCH if they simply stopped using this site as it does dishonor the memory of this man. Yes.... that guild did get a server named after one of its members.

This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall.

I for one have not seen where they are lording over anything. The site here provides the ground work for communication, some rewards, and unfortunately the only concern I'm seeing is whether or not we can bring " good / skilled " players to W vs W. Foul language and disrespect are part of a MMO culture we need to accept ? Yeah..... that isn't happening. I for one play for fun, appreciate what's been made for us as a community and sadly hate seeing some of the very problems we have are those intolerant few who consider themselves the " elite " crowd and be little others. Feel free to continue to whisper me in-game so I can add you to my blocked list. I already have several of you on it and guess what they're commanders. I guess that environment they created wasn't what I enjoyed, ever wonder how many others have done the same ? This server has some great people, some very skilled players and those I enjoy gaming with are the ones I'll continue to game with. Worried about winning all the time ? Is that what SOR is about or should we be more concerned with enjoying ourselves and building one another up because I'm starting to see less of the later.  

» Edited on: 2015-09-24 13:29:54

This Post By Harakael.5830 Has Been Hidden For Being: Off-Topic Show Post

By:

Harakael.5830

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 04:08 PM

Well Feathers u must say that:

" who hit the sentry, !@#$% I hate these jerks not on TS, that's it I'm done, these people suck"

Is the perfect example why i dont go in TS with zergs!! Not that happen always tho, actually doesnt happen much.

You guys in NICE do a great job always on bls when i c you there, i havent been able to go to your events in a long time, due to work, i do miss em

True tho WvW is not the game, personally i have more fun at PvP or doing JP, not to tell my dungeons addiction recently cured,  tho seeing my youtube Channel you can see 80% of it its wvw, as it allows us to be part of a bigger team, to feel united, be a community, be in a war and win or loose together,or for some of us, shamefully, blame the rest and not themselves. 

Attitudes like the ones you describe are indeed baddong, i do comply and they hurt deep inside every1 affected by it, one doesnt just log in the game to have fun and expect to be insulted,

I guess i dont get mad at all when ppl talk to me like that, green is a peaceful guy, but i dont like listening ppl being like that to others that do care,

That is practically bullying i think, even i think most useful stuff on bullies is teaching em a lesson, dont listening to them also works rather good.

Mastering the art of the untrollable troll!!! Blocking always work also to cut the negative vibe!!!

Going back to subject,

Condecoration to scouts are great idea!!! being a scout is so fun, maybe not all can be the pro ninja scouts with perma stealth, but we can do stuff, achieve together, unity and respect are needed!!!

Scouts are fundamental as i recall Sun Tzu, the most dangerous is what "we dont know we dont know" scouts fight that every second they are on!!!!

Meow, ima go home now and play some PVE friends need help on mysterious cave :P

P.S: Next post comes with teddy bear semi nude pic

[VIG][HnB][Ren]

"In Hood We Trust"

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 05:02 PM

manners and customs isnt just language.  for example it is standard procedure in eotm, that when approaching a gate many ppl throw a ram and contribute to the group.  if you do this in wvw you will catch an ear full of sour language, it is our way to leave rams to the commander unless asked by the commander.  there are pug circumstances and what not, but you cannot do this with certain comms who are trying to run a proper group under the pretext of being an individual. 

also where is nude teddy bear?

By:

Commander omega.3760

Replied On: 09/24/2015 at 05:56 PM

Damn Aiden,

No shout out as a pin? </3 I thought we had something special.

As for the rest of this thread... what in the kitten kitten....

Honestly tho, there are reasons why guilds that are decent decide against joining SoR as well as why any guilds worth anything end up leaving the server. SoR will continuously bleed the good players due to its inability to adequately get away from focusing 99% of its efforts on hand holding the casuals.

The most recent drive to get people to not join TS or have scouting purely in map chat is simply a joke.

By:

Commander omega.3760

Replied On: 09/25/2015 at 08:03 AM

Lol at the censorship that has taken place...

Can you confirm that you want SoR to drop tiers to be as easy to play for all of your casual members as possible? Can you confirm that you do not like difficult challenges. Please confirm! do not deny it to yourself anymore!

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 09/25/2015 at 08:43 AM

All the posts are still there. Simply click show post. I hid the off topic ones in an attempt to get this thread back on topic.

Please keep this thread on topic. If you can not do so you will be excused from it. There is no need for the senseless drama.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Harakael.5830

Replied On: 09/25/2015 at 12:45 PM

Yei for the sticky posts!!!

I was wondering my teddy bear pic will get me banned? It didnt from FB!

[VIG][HnB][Ren]

"In Hood We Trust"

By:

Commander limetwyst.7039
   Member of Blood of the Martyr

Replied On: 09/25/2015 at 05:11 PM

FIRST ADDRESSING THE SIDE RAIL

Feathers, (hugs) I have played with you and Owl often, being long time allies of NICE when Helioz was still on SoR, and I know I am careful to not let language slip in your channels, but I sure let loose when I'm commanding in my own. 

I believe we all have a spectrum of what we find tolerable, and I find rage intolerable. Generally the more intense players will bring more intense language. The "f" word (and many like it) can be used as a description of awesome joy and epic greatness - and this is when I welcome it.

When it's used in anger, frustration, directed at fellow players, that is when I judge the person to be a poor leader, unable to communicate effectively and understand the composition and limits of the followers, and how to improve said group, and so lashes out their frustrations of the own weaknesses at players who are very likely blissfully ignorant of their shortcomings and happy to simply be cannon fodder.

(Failing to take all these playstyles into account and not being willing to be tolerant and work with the army at hand is a failing of the leader. The good leader can hone the skills of those in a guild to meet said leaders' standards and then be cognizant of the surrounding random army and how this will affect the battles at hand, and being cognizant that those who are not part of your honed forces will do much less damage and therefore should be factored into your battle strategies at a much lesser level -and don't preach to the choir about the randoms - that's a wet blanket to any battle group).

When it's fun and devolves into juvenile penile humor, I giggle my head off. That's what I play WvW for - the joy of the giggles and running with fun upbeat players. And while I don't get the juvenile humor with Nice, we still have a fun time and make some silly jokes, right? I love all the kidding about Charr and human grudges.

I don't run with wet blankets, and I don't run with raging accusers. I did run with Indo, Ace, Guardian of Rall & Mini Gawd back in the day, and these were some of the foulest mouthed WvW'rs we ever had. But when they fell short and felt frustration about builds and gear and rallybots, I was listening and learning. I heard Ace apologize for raging when we wiped at Bay once (can you believe it? Ace apologizing? lol) I learned how to lead and how not to lead. I learned how to follow and how to scout. And I learned how to respect a very broad spectrum of WvW players.

TS is a very important part of our communication, and we all need to show respect to the entire spectrum of players, foul language preferences included - this means those who don't like foul language need to respect the ones who do and don't try to change those who enjoy it and vice versa - just stay out of the opposite channels.

AND NOW FOR THE REAL DEAL (ON TOPIC):

I don't think a TS badge or a token on this site is necessary or a good idea, because several of these don't participate in one or the other or neither of the above and it is simply another way to alienate those players who play silently - there are many who never say a peep but do important upgrade tasks week in and week out. I just want to say thank you to these players who have a made my WvW time better:

Shorni of Klepto Elephants - plays about 24/7 I think, always flipping camps, running upgrades, never gives up

Abegeto - has been on my friends list with the nickname "Mesmer Portal Expert" for about a year now. A commander can tag up on a map and out of nowhere, there's Abe in map chat or whisper - "Would you like a portal into Hills?"

Scripko - for running our TS server and still hasn't given me the info so I can pay some towards it  D=

Denny Hitme - another 24/7 player, constantly skirmishing

Eko - who I think really wants great things for SoR, lays it out there straight and pulls no punches (but might be a tad short on d20 diplomacy roll)

Sylver Meadow of FBB - another constant, just keeps on going

Romer Sakura Tear - another constant player, dedicated to the game type

If you are you are not on this list, it may simply be that you and I have not logged many hours together (yet). For SoR as a whole, I have been very impressed with the way SoR scouts work together since my return from leave. I have observed commanders that know how to coordinate and cooperate with each other, one distracting the enemy so the other can pull off a cap, then coming together to clean up a larger group. It's fun, it's hard, it's even disheartening at times, but then coming back and successfully cleaning up against a force - doesn't that make victory all the sweeter?

GW siggy photo GW siggy.png

By:

Commander ZeroBeat.7068
   Member of Devilz Prayer

Replied On: 09/26/2015 at 05:41 AM

Yeah Sylver Meadow is my favourite ranger ever. He is my idol.

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved